Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Way for Cutting Stainless Steel Braid hose? >

Best Way for Cutting Stainless Steel Braid hose?

Notices

Best Way for Cutting Stainless Steel Braid hose?

Old 08-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way for Cutting Stainless Steel Braid hose?

I have a legnth of hose to cut and re-attach the hose ends They are a screw on type. I have seen at a shop where the use a "chopper" to cut the line but is there an easy way to do it at home. I have a Milwalkee Die grinder with a 1/8" cut off wheel but this is for a fuel line and dont want dust in it. and have to clean it out, Any better ways? Do big cable cutters work like the electricians use? - Thanks
Old 08-08-2002, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Wrap the hose with masking tape where you wish to cut (2 or 3 rounds of tape). Use a really fine pitch hacksaw to cut (32 tpi if you can find it).

The cutoff wheel on a Dremel or die grinder works real good, too (use the thin .030" thick wheel). As far as dusting up the ID, find a wood or plastic plug the size of the ID, and push it in. Cut around the circumference, but not all the way thru the plug. Then pull the plug out.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:52 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I use a electrical cable cutter. It has 18" long handles and cuts through the hose instantly and cleanly. It crushes the hose slightly so I use a tappered punch to open it back up after sliding the sleeve on.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

I have used MC's method with the masking tape and hack-saw too. It works great, and is easy to mark. You can also use a portable band saw for this too.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Registered

All the previous methods work well but with any of these methods, it will still need to be cleaned. No need to risk contamination in the system. We rinse in parts washers followed up by water and then blow dry with compressed air. We also pressure test all fuel and brake line assemblies.

Todd
Old 08-08-2002, 12:55 PM
ursus

you should clean new hoses before use anyways, not just the cut area, whole thing the stuff doesn't come dust free/sterile from factory and maskining tape/hack saw works well,

do yourself a favour and spend 2 bucks on a brand new 32tpi colbalt blade made for cutting stainless, keep that 10 year old toothless wonder for the tuff jobs

Old 08-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

1 or 2 wraps with electrial tape where you want to cut, set it on a block of steel, then use a sharp chisel that is wider than the hose, a small 2lb sledge, 1 swift blow with the sledge, works like a charm, no frays or grinding dust.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:17 PM
olysan

The Russell hose website says to use the hacksaw/tape method, with a twist. They recommend using 2 blades setup so that the teeth are in opposite directions. I've never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray, I have long handle cable cutter's at the shop that i use you can buy them at Lowes for $ 42.00 I have had them for two years and they still cut fine! Spark.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I got a pair of long handled cutters, Electrical cable type, They are big like 24" handles. Sliced like butter. This is on a -8 Hose works great. Thanks all.

Last edited by Raypanic; 08-09-2002 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Way for Cutting Stainless Steel Braid hose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.