Notices

502 Cam

Old 08-10-2002, 09:50 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the problem is not so much trying to get a cam or heads that will give you more power, but rather trying to get the e.c.u. re-mapped to work with the changes. If the motor doesn't work well as a combination, then there is no sense in playing around with it. Mercruiser spends alot of time picking out a good realiable combination and then mapping the e.c.u. correctly. Due to no fault of their own, there are more than a few guys here on this board who have wipped out good motors on badly re-mapped e.c.u.'s And then guess who gets stuck with the bill for the new motor?

Last edited by Vinny P; 08-10-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:52 PM
wilerty

Just a thought ... how about a stock 500HP EFI cam?

Old 08-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, larger valves, springs, retainers, guides, locks and seals, heads slightly milled, ECU re-mapped to cam specs by ASM, stainless marine exhaust, flame arrestor, fuel pressure regulator. This was all done to a 454 mag efi in a baja 24 outlaw. I never had it dynoed and would say I picked up at least 300 RPMs. As far as MPH, I would say I only picked up 3-4 mph. I was hoping for around 100 hp increase. My speedometer reads 73-74 at WOT. Also while I had the engine apart, I replaced the main and rod bearings, honed the block and replaced the rings. The motor runs great now. I do think I need to play around with the fuel pressure though - the transom gets dark. Just my experience - kind of expensive for 3 mph.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:44 PM
bajah2x105

Call Nickerson Performance in Bristol, Pa. I'm using a grind from him for my Stage II ProCharger. The motor makes great power with the supercharger disconnected too. He has done a crap load of R&D and should be able too help you with no problem. Ask for Brad and tell him that Scott with the H2X in Pa. told you to call. Chances are that an ECM reprogram should be in the works with the cam. I believe a 300rpm gain is reasonable. Hate to say this but consider someone other than ASM for the computer upgrade. I had some bad luck with that place and don't seem to be the only one. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2002, 06:08 PM
stevejohns

Do you have a # for nickerson?

Old 08-13-2002, 07:08 PM
bajah2x105

The # is 215-781-1370. The last time I called this # it gave me a message for another # so get the pen and paper out to get the right connection. Let me know how you make out. Scott

Old 08-14-2002, 12:11 PM
stevejohns

Thanks for the #.. i talked to them today. Very helpful and informative. Any new parts I get will be coming from them. They sound like great ppl to deal with. sj

Old 08-14-2002, 05:08 PM
bajah2x105

sj, Glad to hear it! Dean and Brad have some great ideas on what really works. I will probably never buy another cam from anyone else. I'm switching from efi to carb for my blown setup and can't wait to see the results using their parts. Take care! Scott

Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 PM
stevejohns

Hi Scott... They have some pretty wild ideas on carb work to. The want 500 for a stage 5 setup to my 800. They promise better running and a 25 hp increase. Pretty pricey but interesting. sj

Old 08-14-2002, 08:51 PM
bajah2x105

sj, They aint cheep on carb work but he is probably one of the best in the business. The last time I was in there he must have had about 50 Dominator carbs lined up against the wall ready for delivery. Dean makes some amazing power with carbs. Like I said, keep me posted on your cam selection stuff. Talk to you later...

Quick Reply: 502 Cam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.