Notices

502 Cam

Old 08-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 502 Cam

I have a 95 502MPI in my 95 baja 272. It has about 350 hours on it. It Still runs very strong. I am looking for some opinions about replacing the cam. I am wondering if I can take the top end off and put a cam in without changing the cam bearings? Should I get new lifters? Also I would have some head work done and get the ECU remapped at the same time. I already have IMCO power flow exhaust, adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and high flow spark arrestor. Im looking for about 300 more RPM's with my current 25pitch Bravo1 prop. I love the midrange I have right now, but I am only getting about 4750-4800 rpm's at WOT. I know I could go back to a 24 pitch B1 but would really like to get the extra top speed and keep the midrange. All opinions appreciated.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

You don't have to replace the bearings to put in a new cam. I've changed several and never done new bearings. Always use new lifters with a new cam.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Registered

after reading "Roller lifter shortage" I may wait a while to do the upgrade!!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading the roller lifter shortage post, you may HAVE to wait a while
Old 08-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Another question is would a mild cam, head work and ECU remapping get me the 300-400 RPM's?
Old 08-08-2002, 05:42 PM
liquid lounge

You need to be VERY careful with your cam selection, if not, you will be very unhappy with your results. What you should use depends on how far you want to take it.....it can get exspensive very quick with that setup as you run into corks almost immediatly. So first you need to decide how much you want to spend....and yes you can just do a cam change and your seat timing will be less than you think, but you will bump your power across the entire rpm band. Just don't expect 500 easy horsepower...that takes some work and cash. EFI is great, but in your setup you can start losing its advantages rather quick. I've tried several cams over the years, just getting ready to try my 4th one, and I think it will be a winner. IMO if it wont run right with the stock programming,it's not ever going to run right...make sure it's running good first, then you can tweak your timing and raise your rev limit if you wish. If you want, you can call me at home 816-822-0945 . If being an expert is based on dollars spent and wasted, then I'm the smartest guy on this board. Take care ,Berg

Old 08-10-2002, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 cam

If you are looking for more power in your 502 my advice is to find someone with a proven track record and lots of experience and take their advice. Find a builder that's built and dynoed lot's of 502's. Anything less is probably a large waste of time and money. There are lots of builders around with experience that can tell you what you'll get before you turn a bolt. Don't gamble, invest with known companies.

Just adding a cam usually has a marginal effect on any overall performance increase. It's a combination of components that give best and longest lasting results.

There are plenty of people posting on this site with good experience. Hopefully you will find the combination you are looking for.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put slightly hotter than stock cams in mild marine small blocks and saw an easy 200 rpm. I could only assume the gains would be slightly better in a BBC. I would go for it. If your exhaust doesn't counteract reversion, choose a cam accordingly.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Liquid Lounge!!! Once you get that motor out of whack you will hate yourself and your boat.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Liquid Lounge-- What cams have you tried and what are you trying now that you think will work?

Quick Reply: 502 Cam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.