more steering advice >

more steering advice

Notices

more steering advice

Old 08-09-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question more steering advice

Hi I think I have the opist problem of Jay 13. My steering seems to lose and sloppy. It is a 1995 23 Wellcraft Nova with 260 hours. It dose not seam to be the gible ring becase when I stand behind the bolster with the hatch open and move the wheel back and forth I se no movement of the out drive itself. The slop is either in the telefex rack, the cable, or the hyro. assist unit that the cable gose into. Is there any ajustments to be made? Has the cable streached? Is the assist valve bad? any pointers or Ideas would be great. Thanks Charlie
Old 08-11-2002, 11:42 PM
doug hess

The Teleflex box has a foot long tube covering the end of the steering cable. Remove the tube and with a rag hold the greasy cable and check for play by gentily moving the wheel back and forth.

The play is probably in the Teleflex box which are real junk. They do not sell repair parts. If you ignor the warnings printed on the box and open it you will see why I would never buy another Teleflex. If you think the old one are bad, the new ones are all made in Mexico. Teleflex has acquired Morse Controls and was moving their manufacturing to Mexico also.

I had the same "play" problems with Teleflex and went to Ultraflex/Uflex/Rhoeflex which uses a 3 gear planetary design with no play, that distributes the load better,and is less subject to wear. Their Model T71 is interchangeable with the Teleflex Safe-T and comes with adapters to use your old cables. See the following links:

http://www.uflexusa.com/prod01.htm

http://www.simplicity-marine.com/sim...ng_systems.htm

Last edited by doug hess; 08-12-2002 at 12:02 AM.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not really have play but mine was tight as all hell
I ended up greasing it down with PB breaker (everywhere I could) and that actually loosened it up
I do however have to replace one of my tiller arms that goes on the top of the swivel shaft on top of the gimbal ring.
I have play in that but I also have the stainless tie bar to connect the 2 drives together so that always helps.
Sounds like your going about it right though.
Not too many components of the entire steering system anyway.
Good luck
Jason
Old 08-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Doug

Hi I will give that a try sounds very posible and thanks for the links. Charlie