Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
NEW 502 blocks >

NEW 502 blocks

Notices

NEW 502 blocks

Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Yea the typical OSO mindset of budgets doesnt work for us all. I am buying no cheap parts by any means but i shop around to find rebranded parts made by major big name manufacturers. Too often you are paying for name IMO. My rod are 4340 H beams from Engine Pro. Actually made by Manley and identical to the Manley brand version. Engine Pro bearings are actually ACL bearings just rebranded. It is like buying store brand food, made in same factory on same line, just a different label on the can. That is what I look for. Why pay more for the same darn thing?

From what I can tell, this block comes from the same foundry and machines as a world/merlin block which are historically "good" blocks. So in my mind it equates to basically a gen 6 merlin block.

I would like to hear of a few on here who actually built motors from these blocks.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, all World blocks are clearly marked - there are no private label or unmarked versions. If these blocks don't have a World logo cast on them, they are not made by World.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Yea the typical OSO mindset of budgets doesnt work for us all. I am buying no cheap parts by any means but i shop around to find rebranded parts made by major big name manufacturers. Too often you are paying for name IMO. My rod are 4340 H beams from Engine Pro. Actually made by Manley and identical to the Manley brand version. Engine Pro bearings are actually ACL bearings just rebranded. It is like buying store brand food, made in same factory on same line, just a different label on the can. That is what I look for. Why pay more for the same darn thing?

From what I can tell, this block comes from the same foundry and machines as a world/merlin block which are historically "good" blocks. So in my mind it equates to basically a gen 6 merlin block.

I would like to hear of a few on here who actually built motors from these blocks.
Ive been waiting to try a set of those enginepro rods. My local warehouse carries that line, and the cost of them is a no brainer. I was also told they are made by Manley.

I cant speak for these engine blocks, but yes, I agree. The majority of stuff on the market is rebranded and marked up.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ive been waiting to try a set of those enginepro rods. My local warehouse carries that line, and the cost of them is a no brainer. I was also told they are made by Manley.

I cant speak for these engine blocks, but yes, I agree. The majority of stuff on the market is rebranded and marked up.
Engine Pro parts all seem to be pretty high quality rebranded parts. My rods look awesome however I cant telk you how they hold up because I dont have a block to fit them in!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sea Dog
I don't know who is making these blocks, but it isn't World or PBM. My guess would be Pro Comp if there is no identifying markings on them. All World's blocks have a World logo cast on them and they are cast and machined here in the USA. PBM has not made any iron blocks for several years. Whether or not the blocks in question are cast in China I can't say - but if there isn't a World logo on them, they are something other than World Products. Just my $.02
My first guess was pro comp junk when i first came across these a year ago. But pro comp lists no such block and you would think flea bay would be littered with them like the rest of the pro comp junk but it isnt. I just cant believe that all the work, tooling, casting are all for one dealer. Does anybody else sell these blocks?

This is about the closest thing i can find and is gmpp:
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255475...ch-bosses.html

PBM's website lists one block that doesn't carry a "see WORLD" price tag and fits the bore size but their website stinks and doesnt provide any other specs:
http://www.pbmperformance.com/store....777&parent=773

I would like to hear from Precision and find out if he talked to anyone about it at PRI.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 12-17-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Liquidlounge!! Reason!!! is why spend the big money on the Dart blocks last ones I bought for a pair plus shipping was over 5,000.00.When all you want to do is build a almost stock 502 and no used blocks are available and your using all your stock gm parts except for a cam.Don't need any high dollar blocks on a blue collar guys pocket.If they are giving them away I'll take 2.That is the reason. JOHN SR
http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/19170540.htm
There you go, $1800.00 for your "almost stock 502" AND at my local Chevy dealer. Sorry, but QC on Chinese metallurgy is just above Iron Age methods, not to mention the GM machining should be way more consistent. Granted, this block is probably now produced in a maquiladora, but overall, I am sure the product will be far superior in virtually everyway to its Chinese cast, sales organization sold counterpart. As a bonus for you and me, more levels of added value are going to resonate through the US economy with the GM or any US made product. AND NO, I'm not a union member. I happen to be a business owner and very conservative (politically at least! ) Good luck with your project!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Engine Pro parts all seem to be pretty high quality rebranded parts. My rods look awesome however I cant telk you how they hold up because I dont have a block to fit them in!
The warehouse over here has been an engine pro supplier for a long time. They been in business at same location since 1976. The guys there been selling cranks, pistons, rods, etc to machine shops all over the Midwest area. When I asked about those rods, they said they are a great rod, and have received nothing but good feedback on them. They also sell eagle, scat, manley, etc. He showed me one of the engine pro H beams and seemed like a really nice piece.

They also have some Inconel valves in their lineup. Wonder if those are manleys too. I don't like buying cheap parts at cheap prices, but I do like buying good parts at cheap prices. A while back I got quoted 410.00 for Eagle H beams with ARP 2000 option, and 345.00 for Enginepro with arp2000 option. If indeed they are Manley's, how can ya not want to try them, when the Manley rod lists for around 700.00.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The warehouse over here has been an engine pro supplier for a long time. They been in business at same location since 1976. The guys there been selling cranks, pistons, rods, etc to machine shops all over the Midwest area. When I asked about those rods, they said they are a great rod, and have received nothing but good feedback on them. They also sell eagle, scat, manley, etc. He showed me one of the engine pro H beams and seemed like a really nice piece.

They also have some Inconel valves in their lineup. Wonder if those are manleys too. I don't like buying cheap parts at cheap prices, but I do like buying good parts at cheap prices. A while back I got quoted 410.00 for Eagle H beams with ARP 2000 option, and 345.00 for Enginepro with arp2000 option. If indeed they are Manley's, how can ya not want to try them, when the Manley rod lists for around 700.00.
I believe they are Manley valves also. The engine shop i used to deal with loved building engines with their parts. I would still deal with them if their good machinist wouldnt have quit to drive a tow truck for more money.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 12-17-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: duplicate post......damn phone
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/19170540.htm
There you go, $1800.00 for your "almost stock 502" AND at my local Chevy dealer. Sorry, but QC on Chinese metallurgy is just above Iron Age methods, not to mention the GM machining should be way more consistent. Granted, this block is probably now produced in a maquiladora, but overall, I am sure the product will be far superior in virtually everyway to its Chinese cast, sales organization sold counterpart. As a bonus for you and me, more levels of added value are going to resonate through the US economy with the GM or any US made product. AND NO, I'm not a union member. I happen to be a business owner and very conservative (politically at least! ) Good luck with your project!
After finding out the metallurgy of this block, I agree with liquidlounge. It is not the right block for my application and i thank him for finding me the great price on that gmpp block! Makes the decision a no brainer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.