Notices

Drive Noise

Old 08-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Noise

Hi All,

So, the port drive was leaking lube out of the upper seal into the bellows and then into the bildge. The (incompetent) mechanic removed the drive (nicking the prop I just got back from York) and replaced the seal. Said he sanded and polished the yoke shaft and so the seal would work. Put the drive back on. Ran the boat once and the seal leaked again (this time MUCH faster). Same mechanic removes drive and informs me the yoke is bad (looking at it he never sanded or polished it) and replaces the yoke, forward U joint and seal again. Seems to be holding the lube but now the drive makes a kind of "wirring" noise. I can only hear it at idle (engine sound cover it up above idle) and makes this noise in or out of gear. It doesn't change pitch if you turn the wheel. It is actually easier to hear down in the cabin at idle.

I watched the level of lube in the reservoir and never let it go dry. What did this guy screw up? What are the potential problems that are looming ahead. I am ready to take the drive to another mechanic, but I need to know what could have been screw up by this mechanic so I know what to look for.

Help!

Mongo
Old 08-13-2002, 08:44 PM
blackhawk

Default Gimbal Bearing?

Almost sounds like it could be a gimbal bearing?

Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Thanks Blackhawk,

From what I understand, a gimbal bearing would make noise when you turn the drive left/right. This noise is consistant, in/out of gear, left/right.

What could he have messed with to make this happen?

Mongo
Old 08-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, setting the bearing preload on the upper after changing the inner yoke shaft is critical and requires the proper tools and procedure. I would wonder if that isnt causing the noise.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mongo,

Got your email...glad to hear your summer is going well, despite the small setbacks...I'll be redoing my dash this winter as well...I'm thinking about AutoMeters to be different or perhaps some chrome or silver Gaffrigs...we'll see.

Where can I get some Poliglow...I want to try it on my dash...and how's the Daquiri Wacker??? I bought one of those ones that plug into the cig lighter in the cabin, but I don't think the wiring is substantial enough in there...it won't crush the ice!!

Anywho...it sounds like maybe the gearset on the input shaft may not have been shimmed properly and maybe that's why you're getting the whine...
Old 08-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

Hi Sean & 31,

Thanks for the help. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't set the pre-load properly. I'll call them on it tomorrow.

I was thinking about white Gaffrig monsters with green bezles. I am going to see if I can get a new panel made out of carbon fiber. Should look cool.

I forgot to take pics of the dash before the Poliglow, but the after looks like it is brand new! You can get it online at http://www.poliglowproducts.com/. They don't sell samples, just complete kits. Go ahead and buy one, you won't be dissapointed. Just remember it takes 4-6 coats to look right. If you stop at 2-3 you will not like it! Follow the directions! Also, you can give them a call. They were very helpful with me.

Throw the cig lighter thing away and get the real thing! Mines already gone at least 100 mph (marg's per hour!) and I'm still on the first tank of gas!

Anyway, any other ideas about the whine in the drive?

Mongo
Old 08-14-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Anyone else have a suggestion? Marc at Bam? Jay at Cataline?

Help!

Mongo
Old 08-14-2002, 12:56 PM
blackhawk

Imongo,

I had a gimbal bearing get "rough" in my old boat and it growled all the time. You can kind of "feel" it throughout the boat too.

Old 08-14-2002, 03:53 PM
merlin540

its the gimble bearing

Old 08-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Allan4

Merlin sighting.....

Quick Reply: Drive Noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.