Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust Flapper Spring retainer replacement? >

Exhaust Flapper Spring retainer replacement?

Notices

Exhaust Flapper Spring retainer replacement?

Old 08-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts
Default Exhaust Flapper Spring retainer replacement?

The internal butterfly on my port side tip seems to be missing, broken, or badly worn. The upper portion of the butteryfly is not always returning toward the upper part of the tip when the motor is not running. Can this spring be replaced?? How do I get to it? Again, ANY and ALL input is welcomed. THANKS!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Bo Knows

Just had mine out & repaired it. Sounds like the same problem your having. If it's the same style as mine you have to unloosen the hose clamps inside the engine compartment at the transom where the pipes come thru to the inside. Then take the screws off from the outside, mine had 3. Twist the exhaust pipe out from the back of the boat. The upper flapper on mine was held up with a weight on the end of it, not a spring. I just welded another small piece of scrap metal on the end of it to replace the broken off piece that was on there. It works fine now. If you don't have access to a welder you could just order a new one from any marine supplier and reinstall it. Put a bead of silicone around the exhaust pipe before pushing it back into the transom. Good luck !

Bo

Old 08-14-2002, 04:46 PM
nofreeboard

Be careful when you are pulling the exhaust tip off the transom! If it was put on with 5200 or silicone it could pull some gelcoat off with it. When I did mine, I took out the screws, then used a razor blade and a very thin putty knife to break the silicone loose so the gelcoat wouldn't get damaged. I put in the metal flappers so I wouldn't have to replace the rubber ones anymore. They are kind of noisy, but they seem to be holding up well. The metal flappers mount on a horizontal rod instead of a vertical rod, so I had to redrill the holes and have them welded in. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

I just pulled both tips off the check out the Corsa CC. The tips and flappers are still in great shape. It appears as though when the boat is stationary in the water, at the flappers always return to normal postion. When I have it on the trailer, and think to check, and of course the bow is way up in the air, the upper flapper sometimes chooses to fall downward. No biggie. I am going to leave it alone. I would have thought there was a spring in there to hold them closed, and exhaust pressure opens them up. Not so.