HELP Sending unit for trim >

HELP Sending unit for trim

Notices

HELP Sending unit for trim

Old 08-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Sending unit for trim

Can someome give me a quick explanation on how the sending units work for the trim guage. I am not sure why there is one on each side of each bravo 1 (89' vintage) four total for two drives. Is one for trim and one for trailer? How are they adjusted? My right side guage pins itself high when the ignition is on.

Russ
Old 08-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's like my Alpha, the one on the starboard side is the trim sensor. It's a variable resistor. It may have gotten water inside or it's damaged and shorting out, like mine.
The sensor on the opposite side is the trim limit switch. It stops you from trimming up too far while underway. Do you have a trim switch marked "trailer"? If so that switch overrides the limit switch.
Both are easily replaceable, just a couple of screws and two wires.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Thanks Iggy,
Yes there is an override trailer switch and it still does it's job aswell the trim limit seems to work. If you have replaced one before, how did you get the wires through the transome? what seals them? I asked this question before but never got an anwser on what seals the wires.

Russ
Old 08-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the wires are ok all you have to do is remove the sensor, turn it over and remove the two screws that hold the wires on.
If the the entire harness has to be replaced the drive has to be removed because the wires pass through the transom assembly ahead of the drive. Where the wires pass through there's some form of grommet/gasket that's held in place by a plate from the inside.
Stick you head down behind the engine and look for four wires leading to the transom assembly. Those should be the only four wires going out.

What drive do you have?
I'll check my manuals tonight and see just what it takes to replace it.

I have never done this, only read about it while researching options on repairing mine.
You should pick up a service manual on your drive. There's lots of sevicing you could do your self , if you don't already, to save money.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

Yeh thats a must do (get a manual), this winter I am redoing the back of the boat rebuild the gimbles, paint the drives, add nose cones, (the drives were rebuilt last winter), install mechanical indicators on drives and tabs,and last but not least install new tabs. For some reason my 272 came with bennet tabs and not k-planes. They do not provide very much corective action for there effort (to short). So I will install Eddie Marine units. That should be enough for the winter. My drives are 1989 bravo 1's 330hp 454 I do not know the numbers but they must be of the last vintage befor the highspeed version came out.

Thanks for your thoughts
Russ