Heads port size >

Heads port size

Notices

Heads port size

Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heads port size

I am in the process of building a 598 CI BBC from scratch. I just bought the block ( Dart Big M ) Looking at buying Dart CNC'd heads.
I am going to use a CROWER crank, Oliver rods and JE 10 or 10.5 to 1 pistons, solid roller cam and lifters. This engine is initially going to be NA but may have the compression lowered and add a blower. That is why the bulletproof parts. What heads would you run. Also thinking about a tunnel ram and fuel injection.
Any thoughts???
Steve
Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BMF 350 head. Sniper tunnel ram. I would go hydraulic roller about .700 lift no sense in ruining a $15,000 motor over failed lifters. You will have to do some clearancing on the pan rails and bottom of the bores to have proper clearance for your crank and rods. Make sure you get a good oil pan...
Old 03-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

just a couple thoughts,instead of starting with a 4.6 bore i suggest 4.5 bore,that will give you 572 cu in with a 4.5 stroke.the reason i say this is at 4.5 you can rebore the block many times if necessary years down the road and power output will be almost identical to a 598 in engine.as far as cyl heads i like the dart offerings and have the 355 cnc ported heads on my 588s.they work well on a supercharged engine.if n/a i would look at the 335 cnc head,i am asuming this build is for a boat.also i dont think i would attempt 10. compression ratio if supercharging even if useing a roots,screw or pro charger on a bbc.i do know of an ls engine with a 4l whipple with close to 11. compression ratio making almost 900 hp on pump gas.good luck with your build.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
just a couple thoughts,instead of starting with a 4.6 bore i suggest 4.5 bore,that will give you 572 cu in with a 4.5 stroke.the reason i say this is at 4.5 you can rebore the block many times if necessary years down the road and power output will be almost identical to a 598 in engine.as far as cyl heads i like the dart offerings and have the 355 cnc ported heads on my 588s.they work well on a supercharged engine.if n/a i would look at the 335 cnc head,i am asuming this build is for a boat.also i dont think i would attempt 10. compression ratio if supercharging even if useing a roots,screw or pro charger on a bbc.i do know of an ls engine with a 4l whipple with close to 11. compression ratio making almost 900 hp on pump gas.good luck with your build.
Any camshaft or oil recommendations for the guy?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Any camshaft or oil recommendations for the guy?
NOPE,LOL,those threads go downhill lately.i recomend he call bob madera on the cam after he decides what direction he wants to go.

Last edited by mike tkach; 03-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

Mike - IF and when I put a blower on it I will drop the compression and rebalance.
The last few times I had to rebuild one of my motors I had to sleeve the cylinder because I dropped a valve and canted the piston and holed the cylinder. Dave Wesseldyke suggested the solid roller and is the one helping me make up the parts list. I plan on turning this engine 6100 to 6400 RPM on premium 93 . I am running 10 to 1 now on 93.
Thanks for your input.
I am just trying to get as many ideas as possible.
I weigh every ones input.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

you are in good hands with dave.i like the idea of a solid roller if access to the valve covers is not a pita.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the solid roller if you can take a valve cover off without removing the exhaust. A periodic quick lash check will tell you 100% if all is well with a solid roller. If you have .020 "extra" lash, you KNOW something bad is about to happen. Most likely, the roller tip on the lifter is about to completely fail.

With a hydraulic cam, the plunger will mask any developing issues until an all out failure happens.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Mike - I have had solid roller years ago and only needed to adjust them once a year. If anything more than that is needed there is a problem.
If this engine was going in the SCARAB I would think twice - but the Daytona has enough room to do anything. I could change the oil pump without pulling the engine.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

In the 61-6400 rpm I would go with the smaller head as Mike suggested if your gonna turn it a little faster I would go with the bigger head. But if you have someone that builds motors for a living and knows what they are doing it would probably be best to go with their package. If your 2nd guessing what the guy is telling you for a combination then you might want to find someone else to build it for you... Just my .02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.