Slip-in-silencers vs. Shotgun III's >

Slip-in-silencers vs. Shotgun III's

Notices

Slip-in-silencers vs. Shotgun III's

Old 08-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Slip-in-silencers vs. Shotgun III's

I just wanted confirm what I've read from some outher people on the board. Im running a modified Small Block with about [email protected] was curious about the effect the silencers had on my rpm and mph. Im running Stainless Marine manifolds and 4" straight thru-hull exhaust. Well after a couple of runs with the slip-in's I got my base-line and after removing them picked up 1.5mph and Im running lean now so it' probally more like 2 mph. All this is per my GPS. So I'm really thrilled BUT now I need some info on a muffler that will work with out costing me HP. I have not heard a bad thing about the Shotgun III's.....Thats what Im leaning to. How adjustable are they for noise. And how does it effect performance? What's the best place to get them. Seems like everyone is about $450......Suggestions or comments anyone?????

"Bad-Habit"
Old 08-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Intolerant1

I picked up a set of Shotguns used on this board last winter for $250

They are adjustable for the rate at which they open but I really dont notice a big difference in sound or performance. You can also adjust how farthey ultimatley open with just an allen wrench. I spoke with the manufacturer becuase i wanted to know how far I could hold them closed w/o worring about water backing up in the exhuast. He said I could hold them completely shut and that the holes on the bottom side would allow enough water and exhuast to escape. He just recommended not running wide open like that. A nice option if you want to take a quite ride. I run them in conjuction with a set of slip in baffles, similar to the ones Basset sells but I cant remember who makes them. Not the ones like CP sells that have a flat plate. Those are pretty restrictive. I dont notice any difference in performance with the baffles in and it still sounds healthy, just takes the crackle off.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:31 PM
Intolerant1

I think these are the ones I use. Pretty good price on the Shotguns as well.

http://www.cpperformance.com/search_...T_ID=421-26132

Old 08-15-2002, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Intolerant1 stated, you can adjust the rate at which they open and close. It is a very easy & straight forward adjustment. But, it didn't appear to effect the noise reducing effect.One position wasn't quieter than other position. i didn't notice any gain in performance, although Drew Marine claims it helps mid-range performance. But, I also had plenty of mid-range to start with. On the flip side, I certainly did not lose any performance. They work well and did the trick.When I bought my (2)sets, $'s were about the same whether you bought direct from Drew or from a distributor.I bought mine from Hydromotive Engineering in OH, as they had them in stock.No one was discounting for (2)sets either.