Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS??? >

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Notices

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im doing the same thing now. Everyone has an opinion on how you should spend your money.
Either
A) Buy your project dream boat that you rework every inch of and get to know it like the back of your hand and its better than new.

or

B) Work the same amount of hours you would have on the project but instead at a part time job and then buy a better boat that you will still sink money into.

I believe at some point all boats turn into a project, sum bigger than others. I dont believe seacast belongs in performance boats, besides the effort it takes to hollow everything out your gaining nothing by using it. And yes do a stagger instead of triples.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 422 Likes on 282 Posts

chris! we need an update since your visit on friday!

I've seen your boat 5 min ago advertised for 29 999$ ! i guess the survey you presented was bad if they lowered the price that much!

how did it go?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, they submitted the survey and it wasn't good at all...needs A LOT of work! There is a laundry list of things this boat will need before it is ready to go into the water. It's been sitting in that boat yard for nearly 3 years. There are red flags everywhere on this boat and I am extremely concerned that it will take another 2 seasons and $60K to get it to where it needs to be. So I made an offer and we shall see what happens...

Originally Posted by jeff32
chris! we need an update since your visit on friday!

I've seen your boat 5 min ago advertised for 29 999$ ! i guess the survey you presented was bad if they lowered the price that much!

how did it go?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

well, as of tonight, I think your potential futur boat is now in my neck of the wood! see link:

http://www.lespac.com/longueuil/vehi...&requester=SCH
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Yeppers, I lost out to a broker with a suitcase full of cash. I know for a fact that he bought that bought for $25K so feel free to beat him up on the price! ****ing broker *******s coming in and flipping boats for a quick profit!!! He forgot to mention it needs major stringer work. I'm pissed about that because it was my survey and offer that caused the bank to publicly lower the price to $30K and create a bidding war that brought out all these broker asaholes. *******s!!!!
well, as of tonight, I think your potential futur boat is now in my neck of the wood! see link:

http://www.lespac.com/longueuil/vehi...&requester=SCH
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_dobz
Yeppers, I lost out to a broker with a suitcase full of cash. I know for a fact that he bought that bought for $25K so feel free to beat him up on the price! ****ing broker *******s coming in and flipping boats for a quick profit!!! He forgot to mention it needs major stringer work. I'm pissed about that because it was my survey and offer that caused the bank to publicly lower the price to $30K and create a bidding war that brought out all these broker asaholes. *******s!!!!

He did you a favor...keep shopping plenty of boats out there.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
He did you a favor...keep shopping plenty of boats out there.
Tons of boats out there but it sucks so hard that I invested soooo much time and effort into that machine only to have the bank come through and **** me. Even the broker selling the boat out of VA Beach said that was a cold move and that they were not aware they lowered the price publicly until their phone started blowing up. Ugh! G.W. Bush should of allowed the banks to fail! ****ing bankers never operate with integrity. At least in Canada you can trust the banking system.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

what about the mecanic part of it?
were the engines strong? the drives and gimballs?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Registered

what about the mecanic part of it?
were the engines strong? the drives and gimballs?
The engines were solid! They were just rebuilt before the bank repo'd it. Drives and gimbles were is good condition as well but those would need rebuilt uppers in the near future. Other than that the only thing it needed was rebuilt carbs and stringer work then it would be ready for the water.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Registered

That boat was a steal @ $25K..................
No way would I change from a trip to a twin especially in a 47 except to go to 6's and at least 800hp....