Pro charger on a carb motor >

Pro charger on a carb motor

Notices

Pro charger on a carb motor

Old 08-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Pro charger on a carb motor

Hi one of my pals just got a PRO Charger kit for his 330hp motor whe have many set up questions but I will start with this one. Dose he still need a flame arrestor on the carb inside the shoe box? that presurizes the carb. Thanks Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Pro charger on a carb motor-neds-boat-small.jpg  
Old 08-16-2002, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. you don't need to. I never did and never had a problem.

Someone may bring up a fuel metering issue but it works just fine without it.

DAVE
Old 08-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post your results and settup details with pictures if you can when you're done. I'm very interested in this settup and how it ends up working out. Thanks.!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

flame arrestor is mandated in a closed compartment per CG rules (and good sense).

A procharger box is considered a closed component and as such no longer requires anything on the carb throat (but a K&N stubstack can be helpful, as can removing the choke horn). The "end" of the closed intake system now becomes the intake of the blower. A double-screen flame arrestor on the blower (usually provided) is all that is required on the blower to satisfy CG. A large K&N can be fitted to the blower intake if you have dusty air or keep a grimy engine compartment.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be really careful with the base timing & fuel set up on that engine. Did your friend purchase the Aeromotive (red) fuel pump???? Find out!! (Aeromotive 819-333-7300 tech line) If he did, find out the manufacture date. if manufactured prior to May of 2002, return to Aeromotive to get it FIXED!!! These pumps have epoxy that desolves in fuel containing alcohol (which all do now). This just cost me a complete rebuild an a 10 hour old engine. It plugged up an injector screen and leaned out a single cylinder enough to melt it. There was stuff in the others also, just not as much. The Aeromotive fix is mechanically attached magnets in the pump motor. Cost me $189.00, yours should be free!!
Be sure you have either the large red fuel regulator or use a Mallory BOOST referenced regulator. Be sure to install a second fuel filter after the pump but before the regulator ( clean fuel back into the tank as well as the carb. This is a larger problem for EFI guys, but you need it also.
I would definitely recommend you get Dean Nickerson Performance (215-781-1370) to rework the carb. You will NEVER get it right, he will......do stuff you never thought of and eliminate all black on the transom from over rich conditions....plus other things. Call him, he will explain. Not cheap, but work more than he charges!!