Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 Mag MPI fuel injector cleaning interval? >

502 Mag MPI fuel injector cleaning interval?

Notices

502 Mag MPI fuel injector cleaning interval?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 Mag MPI fuel injector cleaning interval?

My nordic rage has a 280 hr 502 mag MPI and I am curious if it's time to send the injectors out to be cleaned. Never had any issues, however the original and only owner had never done this. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

imo,it would be smart to do it before there is a problem.with todays fuel quality you never know what your getting when you fill r up.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

We recommend 4 to 7 years no matter what fuel you use. Also it wise to do test samples of your fuel min twice a year especially if your boat sat for any long periods of time. it is wise to change your fuel water sep filter twice a year especially at the beginning of the year just before you get rolling.

If you find water in your fuel and have ran your boat then sits for anytime length of time, then most likely your fuel injectors need to be flow tested, cleaned and flow tested again for the final results. A lot times its the basket filters in the fuel injectors itself needs to be replace as ethanol fuel is a good cleaner hence it lifts crud off the bottom of the gas tank plus E- 10 fuel can cause a form of corrosion called aluminum oxide. Some of this stuff makes it way to the fuel injectors and can plug the basket filters and or effects the fuel injectors how it flows or doesn't flow at all.

We also test and clean fuel injectors. I posted some tips what to look for in choosing a service in two other threads. Good luck

Last edited by BUP; 05-05-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! Thinking about pulling them prior to taking it out any further. Think I might drain the tanks too. Only have about 8-10 gallons combined between the twin tanks, so I think it's cheap insurance. Been about a year and a half with sand fuel in the tanks stored in a insulated RV garage in Havasu.

Last edited by Borgie; 05-05-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I had mine cleaned 2 off seasons ago. 6 were "bad" 2 were "fair" the other one was good (it was just replaced). All flowed "excellent" after wards.

The dirty injectors caused my 502 to lean out and take out the head gaskets So for a couple hundo its a good thing to do if you ask me. Cheaper then a top end.