Solid Roller Cam   Worth it?? >

Solid Roller Cam Worth it??

Notices

Solid Roller Cam Worth it??

Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Roller Cam Worth it??

Solid Roller vs. Hydraulic Roller- Is a solid roller worth the maintenance? Do the Solid rollers perform a lot better? Is the only down side setting the valve lash every once and a while?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

todays hyd roller cams can make good power,imo a solid roller is just not needed for 99% of performance boats.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my solid! The upper rpms she is a monster!! :-) With T&D shaft rockers my lash has not moved in 30 hours and from what I hear that is the normal :-) :-)!!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Registered

same here unless youre shooting for insane power I see no need for it either
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a old supercat engine and it has a 55mm solid roller setup. The cam is useless to me as it's very radical but I'm keeping the mechanical roller setup.

A nice side benefit to the mechanical roller is that if you get one valve with a wacky lash number, you know something is amiss and you better check things out.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh700xx
same here unless youre shooting for insane power I see no need for it either
Very true I am 12 PSI boost on a 600" motor spinning some RPM. I was looking for every HP I could get so a solid was a easy choice.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

this is a little like asking if I should buy a Ferrari or a Hyundai. both will get you there but one does it a bit differently than the other. you need to address what you are trying to do before you decide how to do it.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered

Mechanical roller = maintenance
Hydraulic roller = jump in and go
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skydog
Love my solid! The upper rpms she is a monster!! :-) With T&D shaft rockers my lash has not moved in 30 hours and from what I hear that is the normal :-) :-)!!
Yep. Same here and I like knowing if the lash changes slightly either way one can find and fix issue before it is too late.

I should add that what makes the solid work is the T&D shaft rockers set up properly for your heads. Stud girdles just don't work on my engines anyway; not even sbc, ran solid anyway due to 7600 shift point in road racing engine. Had to reset every day if run hard.

Last edited by SFOcean; 07-21-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,257 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
Mechanical roller = maintenance
Hydraulic roller = jump in and go
What maintenance is there with mechanicals? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should never be gaining lash unless there is a problem. They use the same poly nuts, rocker studs, rocker arms and pushrod guide plates. Everyone says that you need to check them every year. Every time that I checked mine they never moved. I switched from solid cams last year that were lashed at 0.026" hot to hydraulic roller cams that I am running solid lifters on that are lashed to 0.007" and they are silent. If I here any little different noise in my the valve train there usually is something wrong. This can be masked for a while with hydraulic lifters.

I don't run solids on hydraulic cams to be different or for the little extra hp gain, it's because I'm cheap. I had just spent a lot of $$$ on Isky Red Zone solid lifters and I didn't want to buy 2 new sets of HR lifters for more $$$. So I compromised and sent my Isky's out to get rebuilt for $20/lifter.

I don't know the OP's build specs and agree that solids are really not necessary for most, but around 6000RPM's I would still go with solids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.