Could backfiring cause this? >

Could backfiring cause this?

Notices

Could backfiring cause this?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Well Black Baja had it almost right, I somehow got the upper & lower bearings swapped on #1. I swapped them & reassembled and now have .016 clearance. Now that I have proper clearances on the sides I checked bearing clearance on the rods. I came up with .0015 to .002 across all 8 rods. Plastgage is all I have for this measurement so the actual clearance is closer to. 0017, not quite wide enough for .0015 but too wide for .002. The book says that this is within spec but on the tight side. What are your thoughts. I have stopped here for now.
Atleast you caught it. Some engine builders do the same thing and let the stuff go out there door. 10 minutes of run time no oil pressure and boom! You'll get it just take your time and stick with it.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The general standard for bearing clearance is .001" for every inch of journal diameter, so if you have a 2" rod journal you should have .002" of clearance minimum.