need help with code 42 on V6 >

need help with code 42 on V6

Notices

need help with code 42 on V6

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 980 Likes on 355 Posts
Default need help with code 42 on V6

some how got stuck trying to figure out what is wrong with the thing. boat is a 1997, engine is a 262 bravo V6 serial number OK022619, if someone can run it and tell me what year it is would be great. owner thinks the engine has been changed. engine will not run much over 2000 rpm and with my codemate it shows code 42 ESC ground. owner has been throwing parts at it and his buddy has been playing with it so no telling what has been changed. anyone familiar with this and have any ideas on where to start? I do my best to not work on the electronic motors as there are too many to keep up with for what I do but I told him I would see what can be done.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Your engine is border line MEFI 2 or 3. Really as far as the code 42 goes it does not matter because that code 42 is the same MEFI 1 thru MEFI 3.

Code 42 is IC or Bypass circuit. IC = Ignition Control, it can be grounded and or the bypass is ground or an open short.
More info to hopefully help. At a certain rpm level around 300 rpms and circuit 424 tan/ black wire the voltage applied, circuit 423 white wire should not be grounded in the ignition module. if circuit 424 tan/ black wire is either grounded or open shorted, the ignition module will not switch to the ignition control mode. If that is the case circuit 423 voltage will be to low in which sets the fault code 42.

The other side of the coin here is, if circuit 423 white wire stays ground in which again should not after about 300 rpms but if stays grounded the ignition control module will switch to ignition control mode but since the line is grounded, there will not be an ignition control signal at all causing fault code 42 to be set as well. Hope all of this makes sense.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 AM
BUP
Banned

Forgot what you posted ESC is = electronic shift control - can you tell me where did you get that was code 42 ?

Also forgot. from Ignition control module - circuit (D) 423 white wire connection MEFI 2 is J2-23 and for MEFI 3 is J1-10

From the ignition control module - circuit (B) 424 tan / black wire connection MEFI 2 is J2-24 and for MEFI 3 is J1-24

next you could also have a bad ignition control module but I would check what I post first and make sure you do not have shorts / bad grounds / other circuits grounded / from IC module to ECM and the connections inbetween.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered

sorry it was a late night. should have been EST electronic spark timing. at least thats what they call it. can you run the number to see what year this motor is? this is an old DNR boat that has had people swapping things and what not so this at least gives me a place to start. when I can I will see if there is a number on the ecm to try and figure out what I have.
thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

also forgot to mention, when I plug in the the code reader (rinda codemate 94008) and put it into service mode to read the codes the IAC starts running. sounds like it is constantly trying to open or close. only does it when in service mode and I have never had that happen before.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:33 AM
BUP
Banned

Mefi 1 & 2 ECM look the same - Mefi 3 & 4 ECM look the same but look totally different than MEFI 1 & 2. MEFI 1 thru 3 are no longer available. Anyways you could try to pull up pics of what they look like off of google hopefully. I take it you work on boats and I would borrow or buy the new Techmate Pro from Diacom to help with diagnostic trouble shooting. You will want to look at IAC counts to help figure out if the IAC is normal or bad, plus look into history for fault codes. The winky blinky is useless for trouble shooting especially if you are trying to make money & save time working on boats. . It really does neither.

Last edited by BUP; 08-14-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM
BUP
Banned

The engine serial # you posted should be MEFI 3 and you should have the Gen II cool fuel system set up. It should not be the VST fuel set up. All gen II and Gen III cool fuel systems are mounted on the bottom side of the engine. FYI to help whomever to determine the differences..
Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

it is a cool fuel setup. I do work on boats but not full time. restore cars as a day job but did own a boat shop in the past but nearly all I worked on was supercat, supervee and open class and now 99% of what I work on are all carb motors other than routine maint. never felt the need for the scan tool as then everyone would be calling me wanting something done. this one is a friend of a friend so I am just trying to help them out.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:51 PM
BUP
Banned

OK I see and I thought you did this for a living only basis because your name has marine in it. I am guessing here did you have anything to do with rigging or something with Adrenaline Powerboats out of GA. plus I remember a few posts up here you working on boats and I think your dad had something to do with Chris Craft. in Sarasota. I have a really good memory.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

yes, yes and yes. pretty good memory. I worked for Fountain building Reggies race boats, at Super Hawaii with Bill Sirois, was crew chief for Alcone Motorsports, built Reliefband, Spirit of Puerto Rico, rigged all the Adrenalines, etc, etc. boats are not new to me but nearly all were race boats or at the time I had scan tools. I was trying to get out of working on boats that do not have my name on the title but they keep sucking me back in. actually grew up south of you a ways outside Austin, my dad was with Glastron and then Hammond boats out there before going to Chris Craft. probably wont be till tomorrow before I can check much else on this as I have to go fix the carb on an old ski boat tonight and with any luck I am putting my old jet boat in the water this weekend and turning off my phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.