Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thunderbolt Distributor Rotor - Stuck! >

Thunderbolt Distributor Rotor - Stuck!

Notices

Thunderbolt Distributor Rotor - Stuck!

Old 08-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderbolt Distributor Rotor - Stuck!

I was changing the plugs, wires, rotor and cap yesterday. Just some overdue maintenance. All was going well until I got to the rotor! The thing was stuck on there and would not budge. I pulled with my fingers and pliers. I pried with assorted tools not designed for the task.

A friend finally helped me out by having a dremil tool handy. It still took a great deal of prying / pulling. The rotor appeared slightly rusted / glued in place!

First -
Is there any easy way to pull these off? Has anyone developed a puller? Should I just plan on cutting them all off?

Second -
Why was it glued? Should I glue the replacement? What should I use? It seems like it is on there pretty good without any adhesive. (maybe I should have greased it?)

All input is appreciated. I have two more of these to do.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 08-26-2002, 03:38 PM
olysan

I think that it's standard procedure to use locktite when those are installed. You can break the bond with heat.

Old 08-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Cold chisel and a hammer works wonders. Turned out that mine was rusted. After some emery cloth the new one slid right on.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Shop manual calls for heat, 2 screwdrivers on opposite sides will do wonders, Loctite on the new one as this is what controls your timing. Any movement is BAD!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

So are you guys saying I should use loc-tite to put my rotor on....And the manual states this.... Ive never heard of such a thing. Are the rotors made with that much clearance??

"Bad-Habit"
Old 08-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by F3LS
So are you guys saying I should use loc-tite to put my rotor on....And the manual states this.... Ive never heard of such a thing. Are the rotors made with that much clearance??

"Bad-Habit"
Yep, as crazy as it sounds. Don't think it is a loose clearance issue, as a keep it "good-n-tight" thing
Old 08-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

You don't say.....Well you learn something everyday....Thanks

"Bad-Habit"
Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Registered

man o man i gota give out all my tricks....chanel locks....just twist it right off up and around in one motion....it breaks the tab clean off in the shaft....if it's worth changing then it goes in the trash....i don't use old stuff for back ups. i buy new for that.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

I twisted pretty hard but I was afraid of damaging the distributor gear or shearing the little pin / screw that holds the gear on.

Thanks for the good tip!

Mark - Thanks for your advice. I pried all day with screwdrivers and that thing was not budging. ( I did not used heat) I purchased the parts from you. Great Website!.

Steve
Old 08-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

the plastic will give way prior to the pin...i never said it was easy...that's way i said chanel locks ....i've done a TON of 500 hp's this way...may take some smashing prior to twisting..good luck.

Last edited by audacity; 08-27-2002 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt Distributor Rotor - Stuck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.