Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel hydro lock? >

Fuel hydro lock?

Notices

Fuel hydro lock?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Apache22

Default Fuel hydro lock?

If my engine gets shut down quickly or by accidently pulling the shut down swith tether, it woun't crank for abour a half hour, hit the starter and raaaaaaaa not one revolution, sounds the same as a BB with too much timing and hot, but it's not, could the engine be hydro locked with fuel? tether cuts of the spark but the engine is still making a few revolutions with a mech fuel pump, and is drawing fuel from the carb??????

Old 08-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you shut it off normal is it ok? Are you sure you are not hydrolocking with water? Check your oil.

Jon
Old 08-27-2002, 01:45 AM
FindMe

Exclamation I hate it when that happens...

1st thing is, are you sure your battery has enough balls to crank it? What is the cranking voltage @ the battery? I pray to god you don't have an Excide battery, because they aren't even good for a hearing aid.. 2nd thing you need to do, is a voltage drop test from your positive batt cable to the positive on the starter after you confirm you have a real bettery and your starter isn't junk. Hot start problems can be eliminated by runnung a remote ford starter solenoid to the crank terminal of the starter to ensure a clean 12 volts to the crank circuit. The voltage drop through the wiring to the back of the boat, through the controls, outdrive and whatever else you may have can cut the volatage down to as much as 9 volts, and thats not enough to operate the pull in windings of the starter mounted solenoid... and so we won't start. Heat creates resistance, which creates low voltage... and sometimes that sucks! Every Offshore boat I have ever rigged or done an installation on has remote solenoids... its easy, cheap, and they never fail to deliver the 12 volts these monsters need to lite them off... Good luck

Old 08-27-2002, 07:04 AM
Apache22

No water in oil it looks great hour after hour, I have a ignition on/off switch and a starter button, I never tried but shouldn't I be able to crank the engine with the igntion switch in the off position and they once it's turning over advance tthe switch to the on posistion and light er up?

Old 08-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Offshore Addiction

yes you should.......but why?????

Old 08-27-2002, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

not much chance of filling cylinders with fuel. The fuel will continue to go in, but will also continue to go out.

Overrun with no combustion pressure, though, can induce water reversion.

To rule out a spark-related issue, next time it acts up, pull the coil wire and try cranking. If there is no change, then you DO have liquid in the cylinder(s).

I still don't see a case where it could be fuel.