Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
525EFI Header Failures - CMI vs Hardin - All failing >

525EFI Header Failures - CMI vs Hardin - All failing

Notices

525EFI Header Failures - CMI vs Hardin - All failing

Old 08-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Everything in boats has its issues however breaking a flange is nothing compared to grenading a motor. Again the cost to remove the heads to drill is still cheaper than a full rebuild. Ill take that piece of mind all day long
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boater8987
How about having to pull heads or engines to gain access to install fixture to re drill bolt pattern on a twin side by side or even a tight single? Or is it possible to gain enough room to install fixture and re drill? Most people would have to pay a shop to do that. I had SM on a staggered 33 Powerplay and the forward motor broke two sets of flanges off manifolds at tail pipe and manifold flange, where clamp goes, in under a 100 hrs. The set up was custom built by Stainless. So they are not unbreakable either. Yes it did have long tail pipes and were well supported. Powerplays are well built boats but I guess it was still flexing because of length. Stainless did warranty the first pair. I still think they are very good manifolds and customer service was very good. But you will still have to add in the extra install expense for 525-700 SCI applications and they are not indestructible. As we all know salt loves aluminum too. I now have 600SCI's, in my Spectre, with good ole proven CMI etops adapted by Teague Custom Marine to fit header flange bolt pattern and bungs installed to bolt antifreeze reservoir to. I sold the sweepers off the 600SCI motors and purchased etops and plugged right in to my existing tail pipes from my 575 SCI's. Old etops were 11+ yrs old and sold with motors. Never had an issue.
That's interesting... so you were able to use ETOPS on the 600SCi?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a picture of the SM Jig. We use a right angle drill when the engines are in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails 525EFI Header Failures - CMI vs Hardin - All failing-img_3792-001.jpg  
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
That's interesting... so you were able to use ETOPS on the 600SCi?
Yes Teague is a dealer for CMI and will modify them. They weld about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, something like that, talk to them for exact modification length, to end of flange and re drill holes to correct location. Then install side bungs on starboard header to be able to modify your antifreeze reservoir bracket. Looks just like they came from CMI made that way. Dave at MDG in MD did the install of headers for me and the tank bracket mod. But if you had the sweeper style header on the boat you will need tail pipe modification. I already had etops on 575sci so they fit right up to existing tail pipes. You can see the etops and bungs in the pic I posted. Double click on pic to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails 525EFI Header Failures - CMI vs Hardin - All failing-600sci.jpg  

Last edited by Boater8987; 08-31-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once found an old spreadsheet on here that had dyno info from lots of exhaust types. SM, Imco, CMI, etc. If no one has found by the time I get back to the office I'll post it.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Which manifolds is stainless marine using to replace the sweeper headers? I had the old style sportubes and just replaced them with the gen 3 manifolds. The manifolds pretty much perform the same as the headers did. I don't have very many hours on mine, but in the few hot passes I've taken it seems like I'm gonna be within 1 mph. That's on hp 500's with small blowers
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the link to the thread - http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...no-charts.html
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Note: the more 'cam' an engine has, the more 'headers' (properly sized of course) are important. Yes, the KE manifolds are true headers.

The 525 EFI has a buttload more (yes, that's a measurement) cam than the HP500 had.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
I've heard the SM make the same or more power on the dyno, have you or any other engine builders tried back to back tests?

But hey your and engine builder so, the more leaky CMI's the better for you.
SM makes a great product but they're not going to make more power in the 4000+ rpm range on a 525. The loss may be minor enough for the peace of mind trade off however, but that is subjective. That being said I'd run SM or KE exhaust, but sooner or later all manifolds will rot from the salt water.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 09-02-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered

Hey Guys for what its worth I just don't know of a product at least a header that if not properly flushed and or treated with Salt Away that will survive in a salt water environment. So no matter if we build them or CMI or well who knows who else, you need to know salt water is bad corrosive stuff and kills all stainless steel exhaust..

The headers in question here were returned to us for evaluation as prior to seeing them had it been a product failure even well out of warranty we would have stood behind them but the headers returned to us for repair were literally crumbling as in rotten.

We just can't control mother nature and how a product is cared for. So while were using the very best US Made 316L heat treated stainless steel you all need to know it still fails over time. This isn't news to many of you but to some based on the amount of money they spend on a product means it must last forever well just not so in the exhaust world.

While the possible cure would be Titanium the cost sky rockets to over triple the cost. We do know there's a real 525 direct bolt manifold system with NO DRILLING required to show its face in the up coming future as well. But honestly if neglected almost everything will succumb to the damages of corrosion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.