Can These Be Repaired ???? >

Can These Be Repaired ????

Notices

Can These Be Repaired ????

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 825 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by nordic95
Ok so after speaking with a few local shops I decided to fix these heads. We used a bore scope to check as much of the ports internally as we could see and they looked fine. I had these heads milled .060 and port matched and flowed during the original build. New I was looking at over 2000.00 for a set without the work. So for the 650.00 I decided to just repair these heads and reinstall. Just where the head met the block was really bad. So they were blasted, ground out, cleaned, then pre heated and welded. They then decked the heads and final weld and decked again. Im very happy the way they came out. We also did new tool steel springs and a valve job. Now my question is...I used ARP head bolts originally on this build. Had the heads off once before for a freshen and now they are off again. Can I reuse the head bolts for a third time or replace them?

Thanks Anthony
I hope the hammered the weld down before these decked it.makes the weld hard to match the surrounding surface.
as for your heads,,they look new compared to the afr 315 cnc'd ones I got for myself.I'm figuring alot of welding rod.I'll take some pics today to make you feel better about your heads.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with reusing ARP head bolts was not positive - had one break during final torque sequence, so I had to pull the head to get the broken bolt out. Cost me a new head gasket (FelPro). For $50, I would get new head bolts. Or switch to head studs for better, more even clamping force on those aluminum heads. JMO.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

ARP bolts with no corrosion (use a jeweler's loupe), then reuse them. If you see any visible pitting or spalling, don't use them.
Weld up the head? Sure, you can just about MAKE a head out of weld, but you have to grind away any compromised material before you weld, else the weld will not be strong. Yes, peen the welds before decking.

best wishes.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the other engine, almost worth pulling it now that one is apart.