Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1997 502 EFI cranks but won't start, will try and run after shot of starter fluid >

1997 502 EFI cranks but won't start, will try and run after shot of starter fluid

Notices

1997 502 EFI cranks but won't start, will try and run after shot of starter fluid

Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 502 EFI cranks but won't start, will try and run after shot of starter fluid

I just got my engine back together to fix a problem and now all i get is the engine to crank. It doesn't even try to start. I had to install a new fuel pump as it had seized up. I have just gotten the injectors back from Marren injector in connecticut to be cleaned and checked. I have spark and fuel pressure at the rail, but the pressure drops off from 40lbs to zero fast. I ran a scan with the Rinda and everything comes back ok. I finally decided to spray a little starter fluid and the engine wants to fire right up and run. Could the leak in pressure be causing it not to start? I am going to diagnose the fuel pressure problem tomorrow. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

It has to remain steady, that is your problem.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Do not use starting fluid please.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel pressure might be stuck open causing no fuel pressure but it should at leaste start.. put a noid light on the injectors and see if it blinks..if you dont have the dist almost spot on it wont fire the injectors..put the balancer @ 8* or where ever its supposed to be and line up the dist rotor with #1 and see if it fires..
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you had your fuel system completely apart. Did you prime the fuel system completely before starting it. Your drop in fuel pressure could be air in the system or the fuel pressure regulator is bad or has a problem.

To prime your fuel system fill your fuel water sep filter completely 100% with fuel to the top or the best way is use a small outboard portable gas tank with a primer bulb to prime your fuel system - take your fuel tank fuel line off and hook up the portable gas tank with fuel line and the primer bulb. the pump the primer bulb to it is tight.

Next if that's not your problem - do you have the factory service manual, if so look up clear flood mode. If not buy one or I have a CD disc that has 20 factory OEM Mercruiser service manuals on it for a 110 bucks shipped. Yes it does have the early and late 502's and the 454's - and the 496 and the early and later Bravo outdrives Service manuals so on it .

If I remember correctly your boat was or is for sale and the motors are not stock (I think) Which ECM does your motors have ? I remember your motors have heat exchangers and are painted yellow - correct so it makes me think not stock mercruiser black production engines. .Do you have stock fuel pump(s) or aftermarkets ?

Last edited by BUP; 09-16-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im not being a smart azz but is there fuel in the tank.i know a guy who had similar problem,solved it at the gas station.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 PM
BUP
Banned

Also totally agree do NOT use starting fluid to try to start motor also totally agree make sure you have power to your injector harnesses. Use noid lites like above said , the noid lites should blink if you have power and the correct outputs from your ecm's. at the injector harnesses

Do not rule out priming your fuel system completely as air could be your problem. Also without priming your fuel system and the electric fuel pump - you could have got the check valve stuck in your electric fuel pump. Merc recommends fuel priming them when ever removed and or replacing electric fuel pumps. They also put service bulletins out about it as well thru out the years.

Last edited by BUP; 09-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
im not being a smart azz but is there fuel in the tank.i know a guy who had similar problem,solved it at the gas station.
Too true!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had cracked the fuel line going to the external fuel pressure regulator and i have a ton of fuel flowing right there. I will remove the fuel filter, replace and top it back off. The boat has 50 brand new gallons of gas as the problems i started having all stemmed from water in the gas from the boat pretty much sitting for 3 years with very limited use and the same tank of gas. I drained the tank completely empty and started fresh. It was nuts as after I had the tank drained, I decided to send the injectors out to be cleaned and when i got them back and installed, before reinstalling the upper intake i would turn the key on to make sure no leaks at the fuel rail and the pump would not come on. So I figured it was just gummed up like they can do from sitting and direct jumped it and all it would do was click, dead fuel pump. So I pulled the pump and replaced it with a new pump, so yes I did in fact have the fuel system open. I don't have a noid light but can i still check for voltage at the each side of the injector harness with a voltmeter? I did use the Rinda with the injector connector to see if the injectors were clicking and they all were. I even tapped each injector as one guy on here in another old thread said he had his injectors cleaned and they wouldn't fire until he tapped each one.

Last edited by jimjomack; 09-17-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
BUP
Banned

made a mistake in my post should have read DO NOT use starting fluid to attempt to start your boat. It is bad for any intake track sensors and can be hard on the pistons. Also can cause a big backfire back thru the intake track and if your flame arrestor is not on the throttle body - watch out for a (flame thrower).

Next - your gas was 3 years old and had water in it ? So your fuel filter(s) and all the fuel lines and the cool fuel system and the fuel rails still had that 3 year gas/ water in it while trying to start the motor ? just asking.

I thought you had twins in your 28 Pan. How is or what is the other engine doing while starting / running ?

3 year old gas and water mix could not even lite a camp fire more or less lite off a engine. Hopefull you did not suck crap up from your gas tank or POSSIBLE deterioated and or corrosion from the fuel lines / and possible fuel rails debris into the new fuel pump and or injectors.

Last edited by BUP; 09-17-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.