Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Twin Turbo Build >

Twin Turbo Build

Notices

Twin Turbo Build

Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't even bother with the merc EFI (you have heard this before) need a aftermarket multiport EFI, with a laptop tuneable ECM, there have been a few that did turbo's over the years, seemed to work well but never caught on, now merc has them so should see more now...we race a turbo LS car and love the power that can be made, keep us posted..lastly that boat is not great for speed to you will hit a speed "wall" soon and will be frustrating no matter what power you throw at it...had a friend with one and spend stupid $$$$$
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
don't even bother with the merc EFI (you have heard this before) need a aftermarket multiport EFI, with a laptop tuneable ECM, there have been a few that did turbo's over the years, seemed to work well but never caught on, now merc has them so should see more now...we race a turbo LS car and love the power that can be made, keep us posted..lastly that boat is not great for speed to you will hit a speed "wall" soon and will be frustrating no matter what power you throw at it...had a friend with one and spend stupid $$$$$
Yep, planning to use FAST XFI or Holley HP, however I am thinking of picking up a factory engine to use for mock-up so the kit we make can fit a newer OEM engine and clear all of it's components.

Boat, definitely understand that. Plan is to get our feet wet with low boost and show what the kit can do to work out the bugs in this hull and then upgrade to something MUCH fancier

Turbo LS1, where we come from

Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
Goal is to construct a set of manifolds first in Solid Works and make the drawing a reality. I then have many turbo connections and already have what I would use picked out. The rest then is simple fabrication on the turbo side of the game. Getting the engine in proper form first is my biggest concern!
Originally Posted by Fordtrucks
. I don't see why you couldn't take a set of marine manifolds like my Dana marine flow TQs and make an adapter that would allow you to bolt on a turbo in place of the riser!
Superman09, Fordtrucks is correct as you can see in my photo's Dana Marine Flow TQs work real well!

They actually run an individual primary tube for each exhaust port all the way to the end also.

For the cost it's not worth your time designing, and fabricating.

I work in UG ( Unigraphics ) designing everyday, so I understand your passion and Ideas.
I also understand the time it takes to bring it full circle.

Spend your time designing the items that are not Shelf items/store bought.
Because when they fail from time, heat, fatigue etc. you can just buy another one.

But when it's your own part that fails, it's your time to re-create, re-fab etc.

Don't get me wrong I like unique, I like new technology, I like different, I like totally custom.
And with a turbo set up there are plenty of custom parts to make for you work space as
you can see in our photo's.

Look forward to your build!

Jon
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
Yep, planning to use FAST XFI or Holley HP,
Big Stuff3 great software

Jon

Last edited by cougarman; 10-03-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

We have more ambition than just a one off build

I will check out the manifolds for sure, however we already have some pretty cool ideas we will shortly be putting together with solid works and then into a 3D print for mock up. thanks!
Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered

Here's ours...
Old 10-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

boat...procharger

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
OSO's own (Check300) Single engine, #6 Drive, 3blade
Talk about the ultimate sleeper, damn.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Talk about the ultimate sleeper, damn.
We ran it for the previous 2 summers at 1730 HP. It was pretty quick!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Nice set-up check!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.