Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Stroker/Dart Pro1 Heads >

496 Stroker/Dart Pro1 Heads

Notices

496 Stroker/Dart Pro1 Heads

Old 09-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Makino

One other thing you may want to mention to your engine builder(he may already be aware of this). I have been around several people using Eagle cranks that have found they have been as much as .0010 out of concentricity on the journals. To some people this is no big deal, but personally I think it can lead to premature bearing failure.

I have an Eagle in my 468, and it was out .0005 . They make good cranks for the money, but I always check.

Good Luck

Old 09-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to add that i have two friends running hydraulic roller cams with 150 and 160 on the seat, 420 open spring pressure. They both have broken ARP rocker studs twice, one using Comp Cams the other using Harlan Sharps. You may want to reconsider the theory about no stud girdle.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

jspeeddemon,

I'm using hydraulic roller lifters (Comp part # 887), ARP rocker arm studs, Crane Gold aluminum roller rocker arms, titanium retainers and Comp #930 valve springs with about 130-140lbs on the seat and about 370-380lbs over the nose. All this on Dart Pro-1 aluminum heads. I was originally using ARP rocker arm studs that were a little on the shorter side for the exhausts. They have 50 hours on them from last year with no problems, but this year I have since then replaced them with a longer ARP stud that almost bottoms out within the stud bosses so that there is less chance of failure. We had to cut them for fit. Anyway, no problems thus far and I know of EVERAL boating guys running hydraulic roller cams without problems thus far. Not sure, but I think your spring pressures may be a little too high bro.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Registered

I run the Darts and have had great luck with them although they are a little harder to build heat with, not bad. I have to agree with jspeeddemon, a girdle is a good idea, never too safe.

Bruce Wolff does a great job, I can not say a bad thing about him, he has always delivered on time and the bill has been in the range quoted.

Last edited by sgrady; 09-04-2002 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Scott----Yep, Bruce IS the Big Bad Wolff! That boy is gifted and cetainly knows how to tune an engine!
Old 09-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

As I said, he has always done a great job for me and even fixed some of the other peoples mistakes as well.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jspeeddemon

No need to reconsider. We have had 0 failures with the Arp studs/hydraulic rollers. A stud girdle forces you to use tall valve covers causing clearance problems with the headers. I'd check the spring height for coil bind.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

'Talked to Bruce Wolff last week.
His quotes were not at all outragious.
His name seems to be mentioned quite often when talking performance engine work.
I'm going to get him to do my machine work.
Dennis
Old 09-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel rocker stud flex may be a problem, run Jesel or T & D shaft rockers. Stud girdles will not clear most marine valve covers that are required with marine exhaust. I do agree that flex should be minimal with a hydraulic roller under 6500 RPM and roller rockers with no girdle will be fine. I have the Jesels and they are pretty cool. Valve lash doesn't move and is easy to set and they fit under stock valve covers that can be removed without pulling the CMI's.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

Kaama,

When I did the upgrade I installed a crane 139631 cam with the suggested 99886 crane springs which was part of a "camponent kit"
Springs where installed at 1.859 and 380lbs. open. which is what is on the camcard.
Crane has gone to spring 99896 after having a rash of cracked springs on carbed hp500s - 1999 and older
I have friends who have hp500s and are comming up with cracked springs.
Teague has sent me comp#929 springs.
I wonder what the difference is between those and the #930 you are using?

I'm going to be going to Hardy Dam saturday.
Never been there before so I don't know what to expect.
I'll be riding shotgun on my friends 30' Daytona Eliminator with 825's..........

Quick Reply: 496 Stroker/Dart Pro1 Heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.