Help me out with some leaky valve covers >

Help me out with some leaky valve covers

Notices

Help me out with some leaky valve covers

Old 08-29-2002, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out with some leaky valve covers

My stock sbc valve covers with the spreaders are starting to leak. I am thinking about buying some aluminum covers with the bolts on the top and bottom. Do I need baffles or not. Who makes and sells a good quality aluminum valve cover that will not bend or leak? Are there any brands to avoid?

With your help I will only have to do this once. Too many things are taking me three tries to get it right.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Offshore Addiction

I think its competion engineering that offers a fantastic plastic valve cover,there accually thicker than the after market aluminun ones...and wont rust.....just a thought!!!!

Old 08-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

I tried some new style fel pro gaskets. They say they seal better and last 5 times longer than the old style. They have a hard plastic frame with a spline type seal. Similar to the vortec intake gaskets. you put them on dry and I think they are reusable. They have plastic spacers so that you cannot over tighten them.

They make two models the 69.00 ones and the 35.00 ones. For what they charge I hope they work well.

Has any else tried these?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the gaskets out and throw them away.
Stop at any parts store and buy a tube (or two) of Permatex Ultra Copper RTV gasket material, it's also known as Permatex Red.
Clean both surfaces relly well and then wash them with alcohol. Follow the package directions, don't over tighten the hold-down bolts and you'll never have another leak.
I did this to the valve covers on my old truck and never had a leak for the last 95K miles and 10 years of ownership.

Unless you're continuously removing the covers for some reason this is the way to go.

Last edited by Iggy; 08-30-2002 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Iggy,

I have tired the blue and the black permatex. I think the heat in arizona just cooks gaskets. The cork is good for a few years and the rubber is good for about 5 years.

I will let you know how long theses new gaskets last. At least it will be easy to change them. No scraping off the old rtv.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Permatex Red is a high temp type RTV. The heat of the Florida summers and exhaust manifolds didn't destroy the sealing abilities. The Blue and Black are not designed for use in high heat locations.
Trust me, this'll work.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temperature RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:
Exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P/N Container Size Pack

81878 3 oz. tube carded 12

Copyright 2001, Permatex-ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Privacy Statement
Attached Thumbnails Help me out with some leaky valve covers-permatex.jpg  
Old 08-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Registered

Thanks Iggy

I will buy some ultra copper. I am for whatever will last the longest.

Thanks Again
Old 09-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

keep your covers, go to a auto parts store ask for a tube of right stuff best sealer money can buy
Old 09-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Registered

Beware, an excessive amount can squeeze out and make it"s way to the oil pump screen. The factory engine"s are using silicone also for cover gaskets on some app"s.

Quick Reply: Help me out with some leaky valve covers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.