Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed?  Top speed less than expected. >

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Notices

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Going forward on this, I am going to:

1. Pull and inspect the plugs. Might also run a compression test just for grins, but it had 175+ PSI on all holes right before it was dropped in.

2. Check throttle linkage to make sure secondaries are opening all the way.

3. Examine fuel system including tank pickup. Will mount a GoPro pointed at fuel pressure gauge to track that during water test.

4. Increase jet sizes. Can't hurt, and might prove to be my issue - better safe than sorry.

5. Double check timing. Question - can this be done in the driveway on a hose? I have a V8 22 HP500 module on there now, and was thinking about trying a V6 module to allow more initial timing for better dock characteristics.

Anything else I should add?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can check the timing on the hose. Just try not to hold it too long while reving checking total timing.

I keep staring at the fuel pump you have online. It's just pi$$ing me off looking at it.

Just curious, what made you purchase that pump? I know zero about them, but it just seems like not the pump I would use on a 600HP marine engine.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Going forward on this, I am going to:

1. Pull and inspect the plugs. Might also run a compression test just for grins, but it had 175+ PSI on all holes right before it was dropped in.

2. Check throttle linkage to make sure secondaries are opening all the way.

3. Examine fuel system including tank pickup. Will mount a GoPro pointed at fuel pressure gauge to track that during water test.

4. Increase jet sizes. Can't hurt, and might prove to be my issue - better safe than sorry.

5. Double check timing. Question - can this be done in the driveway on a hose? I have a V8 22 HP500 module on there now, and was thinking about trying a V6 module to allow more initial timing for better dock characteristics.

Anything else I should add?
Do you know if the pickup on the fuel tank has a one way valve? I have twin IMCO tanks on my nordic and 1 of the valves was sticking. S**T canned both and upgraded from 3/8 - 1/2 ID AN without check valves and sweeping -10 90's.

I do agree that fuel pump is likely totally wrong for your setup. Put one of those on my fathers 260 merc and as expected, it runs well, IMO different story on your motor.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered

Found the specs on that pump after digging all over.

50GPH flow at 6psi?

http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-det...ine&brandId=CF
Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Registered

just browsing thru my holley book. They list the "red" electric pump to flow 71GPH, at 4psi. MAx HP Naturally aspirated, 425HP.

The holley blue pump, 95GPH at 7psi. Max HP naturally aspirated, 550HP.

Holley black pump, 120GPH at 9psi. MAX HP naturally aspirated 750HP.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Found the specs on that pump after digging all over.

50GPH flow at 6psi?

http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-det...ine&brandId=CF
Jetting will be a waste of time until you get some fuel to the carb.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Budman, I think you are on the right track. Did you read fuel delivery thread over at Boatfreaks? Mechanical pump was recommended to me, that should be an easy choice for you given you have the pump provision. I ****canned my siphon valves as well.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:28 AM
Registered

You can check the timing on the hose. Just try not to hold it too long while reving checking total timing.

I keep staring at the fuel pump you have online. It's just pi$$ing me off looking at it.

Just curious, what made you purchase that pump? I know zero about them, but it just seems like not the pump I would use on a 600HP marine engine.
MT, it's the same pump my friend has been running on his boat with the 500HP. In fact, I believe he was running one for several seasons with a 509 / B&M 250 setup. Maybe he just lives a charmed life and I don't.

I guess the fuel pressure gauge will tell the tale - hoping to run it on Sunday; probably my last gasp until the really cold weather settles in.

Still thinking about switching to the mechanical pump, but will probably need a special bronze or composite pushrod for the billet cam. Apparently these come with their own headaches, as outlined here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...lobe-flat.html

I also dislike having a mechanical pump hanging off my block, as it makes it a b!tch to get to the seawater pump to change impellers. If I have to upgrade the pump, it's going to have to wait - tapped out right now. Maybe Santa will bring one.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the coupler or prop hub was slipping wouldnt his rpm much higher ?

Scary part about 13 afr is a carbed single plane manifold setup doesnt distribute fuel very well. One cylinder might be 12.5 while the other at 13.5 etc. Thats why on a engine like buds is wanna error to the fat side

Even my port injected dually gas truck goes to around 12.6 at like anything over 75 percent throttle to help keep it alive pulling a trailer up a hill. And with port efi it has waaaay better fuel distribution
Mild considering the above info on the intake manifold, is there one that you recommend for safer operation on a carburetor 502 stock?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Registered

stimleck has another one of those "distracting" avatars, but on a whole different wavelength than MT's. I doubt if you would have much luck hitchhiking with a thumb like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.