Best way to clean old fuel tanks

Notices

Best way to clean old fuel tanks

Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to clean old fuel tanks

What's the best way to clean saddle tanks without having to remove them. Got a boat that's been sitting for a while and I want to make sure I don't suck up any garbage when I fire it up. Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

I was looking at getting my tank cleaned last year. Look for a local commercial tank cleaning place that does semi tankers etc.

It was going to be about 70 bucks to get my tank completely professionally cleaned.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The cheapest way with sometimes fair to great results is filling them up with straight ethanol E 98. Next good cleaner is acetone but it can get expensive using that product. Acetone works very well.

Do not fill your gas tanks 100 % with the cleaner - you want to hook your boat / trailer up and drive it around to make a washing machine effect cleaning the inside of your fuel tanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A simple lit match... Kidding aside. Very hot soapy water and a 12V pump with a rubber impeller. Flush 2 or 3 times pump out and completely drain after each filling. methyl hydrate rinse and drain. Good to go...