Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How Many Different Ways Can You Get Water In Your Oil??? >

How Many Different Ways Can You Get Water In Your Oil???

Notices

How Many Different Ways Can You Get Water In Your Oil???

Old 09-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I damn sure wouldn't know what to tell ya. Definetely not an expert, that's for sure.

Sorry to rain on your post with my situation. Just saw someone touch on the condensation issue and thought it fit my problem.

I think you're right though. My level is not going up at all. If the boat is run for a good length of time I don't see the problem.

Today the boat was run for about two 10-15 minute intervals. To the cove and back. I imagine I'll see the condensation in the oil tomorrow when I check it.

Buck
Old 09-02-2002, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like rj said, are you sure you are getting all the water out when you change? That emulsified oil will be throughout the engine. The last time I had milk, I ran the engine with half oil and half diesel for about 5 minutes, drained it, refilled and it was fine. I have another one right now that I need to do it for too.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:39 AM
Banned

BTW, this one got water in it from when I changed trailers, I backed it in without the plug in it and damn near sunk it!
Old 09-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Water in oil comment.

Bull,

Pull all your spark plugs, keep them in order so you know exactly which cylinder they came out of, and take a hard close look at them. If you had a head gasket problem or a manifold problem you should be able to see rust on the spark plug in question.
While the plugs are our of the motor have a couple of you buddies view each side of the motor. Crank the motor over and see if either of them see water coming out of any cylinder.
Good luck post your results.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

BULL,

Is your engine a custom built engine or a factory mercruiser. I had a pair of big blocks built. I had the same situation in one of the engines. Two things could have been the problem with mine. One as previously mentioned, condensation build up in the heads. Two as in my case, I think, I had too much water pressure. Mercruiser recommends 24 lbs., I had 40lbs. I changed my water pump pulleys to a larger size and lowered the pressure. Good luck.

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

big boy-thanks for the info........i guess that would be my next step. the motor is a gen 6 crate motor 450hp with gil exhaust and holley 750dblpumpr i will post results as soon as i get over my hangover!!!!

mike-i know i am only running 7-15lb of water pressure so that shouldnt be a problem........yet!!!! i need to get to work on this asap!!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

bull,
before you tear your motor apart, you may just want to retorque everything and change your oil again from the drain plug on the pan if you can get to it . intake bolts in the ceter or the manifold or riser bolts are usually the culprit. i wouldn't bypass the oil cooler either. if that leaked you would lose your oil in the water since the oil pressure is always higher than the water pressure on most engines. good luck, changin head gaskets is no fun