Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes? >

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Notices

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

The only stroke I see here is you stroking Bob...

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The Sterling 1350 and the Pfaff 1000n/a are both 665's 5" stroke.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
That's antiquated thinking Tim.
You would have a rod ratio of 1.49:1

At 5500 rpm, you would have no issues whatsoever.

I'd rather keep the short deck and shorter pushrods
I agree to the point of running a 4.375 stroke in a standard deck, and wouldn't have a problem with running that setup. But I disagree with this "tall decks suck" talk, because they utilize longer pushrods. There a TONS of tall deck big power marine engines out there, with zero issues. With the proper cam design, lifters, pushrod diameter/wall thickness, and spring setups, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a tall deck setup. I would not opt for a standard deck big ci deal, because of the longer pushrod requirement of the tall deck. As I would not turn down the option of a 4.375 stroke in a std deck because of the rod angle. However, I would be a little more careful on my crankshaft selection with the longer stroke. Just my opinion

Theres certainly alot of ways to build a big block chevy, esp with that parts we have available today, that wasnt avail 30 years ago.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The Sterling 1350 and the Pfaff 1000n/a are both 665's 5" stroke.
and a 10.6" block with 5800 max rpm
Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
you obviously don't know the details and same as the details of the trans and drives I have, mind your own chit when it comes to those details, there is much more to the story then you know, remember there are 2 sides to it all, I honestly can care less WTF you think of how it went....you were not involved....there are thiongs that were kept private, obviously not on other peoples end if they are trying to say otherwise, I can start a huge chitstorm about my situation but decided to keep it off the radar.... hence I never made a post about my "experience" all you are doing is trying to make trouble....
Here is the truth. You didn't hone the lifter bores the lifter hung in the bore (everyone knows Dart blocks are tight). You got everyone in an uproar about AFR heads Bob went to bat for you with Johnson and payed for a new head for little Timmy so he wouldn't get a divorce. The fact of this whole matter is you belong in the Kid Apache class/ beware and stolen section. That's the truth.

How many new Tim's motors were going to blow up b4 he even started the build?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
and a 10.6" block with 5800 max rpm
The Pfaff motors are 5800. The Sterlings go over 6000 and I think they use World Super Tall. Sterlings have Big Chiefs also.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The primary reason for Tim to use a 9.8" deck height block is hatch clearance. The shorter pushrod is an incidental bonus.

In my opinion, whoever counseled him that a 4.375 arm with a 6.535 rod was a bad combo, gave him a bum steer.

In the end, if the engines prove to be reliable in the long run, it really doesn't matter.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
The primary reason for Tim to use a 9.8" deck height block is hatch clearance. The shorter pushrod is an incidental bonus.

In my opinion, whoever counseled him that a 4.375 arm with a 6.535 rod was a bad combo, gave him a bum steer.

In the end, if the engines prove to be reliable in the long run, it really doesn't matter.
A 6.535 Rod with a 4.375 crank in a short deck is not going to happen in a Marine motor. I wouldn't even do that in a drag motor.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

you are WRONG, is that what Bob told you? not how it went, funny Bob asjked me to keep quiet, seems he is not.... maybe I should start a thread telling my story........

Bob didn't pay for that head either, AFR was to credit him, the reasons why are between me and the owner of AFR, not going to post anymore info about that, you are being lied to by whoever so it's time to stop....I went to bat for MYSELF with Johnson, for the record, I offered to pay for every part of that mess, some was taken care of some was not, none of your business how it went really....I have been and still am in contact with someone there and gotten them more business, but you don't know the details... again....

Here is the truth. You didn't hone the lifter bores the lifter hung in the bore (everyone knows Dart blocks are tight). You got everyone in an uproar about AFR heads Bob went to bat for you with Johnson and payed for a new head for little Timmy so he wouldn't get a divorce. The fact of this whole matter is you belong in the Kid Apache class/ beware and stolen section. That's the truth.

How many new Tim's motors were going to blow up b4 he even started the build?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

A 6.535 Rod with a 4.375 crank in a short deck is not going to happen in a Marine motor. I wouldn't even do that in a drag motor.
Gotcha.
No compression height=pin in oil ring.

Let's say, 4.375 and a 6.335 rod then.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Registered

So he asks you to keep quit. Now your on this thread crying because your motors don't make the power you were led to believe that they would. Your cams are to big. You would do it differently if you had it to do again.

No Bob never got credited for your head because there was no metal transfer between the guide and valve. The lifter hung in the bore because you never honed them. So yeah your running around on Bobs dime and now your crying because you built to motors that are turds. You cried when you blew up the motor now your crying because they don't get out of there own way. Hmmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.