Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ??? >

Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Notices

Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

of course the cap can work, but on the long run you better take them off. why?
because once unpluged, the y pipe is only held from the bottom with 2 feet hanging up in the air, and with time, with bouncing in wave, might, i dont say will, but might break at the bottom... believe me been there done that!
and when that happens you better have 2 big working bilge pump for this 3 or 4 inch broken tube water supply!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
of course the cap can work, but on the long run you better take them off. why?
because once unpluged, the y pipe is only held from the bottom with 2 feet hanging up in the air, and with time, with bouncing in wave, might, i dont say will, but might break at the bottom... believe me been there done that!
and when that happens you better have 2 big working bilge pump for this 3 or 4 inch broken tube water supply!!!
That's an excellent point... are you saying that happened to you??
Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

yes!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
yes!
thats bad...
Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You might install these... http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12573...sert-caps.aspx . I have several friends that are running these until they can pull the engines to remove the Y pipe with one guy running these about 3 years...no issues. I can see where the Y pipe might break off if you are "stump-jumpin" out in the ocean or great lakes area, but I dont see that happening in a regular lake.Even tho the Y pipe is aluminum, it has thick walls and when I removed mine, I just tossed them out onto the driveway. They didnt break or dent but they made a lot of noise until they stopped bouncing. I also have two friends running RV type rubber caps. The Y pipe isnt round...it is oval shape and installing the rubber caps was a massive pain, but when you get them on, use one of the big hose clamps to hold it down. I dont remember exactly if it was a 3, 3-1/2 or 4 inch diameter rubber cap plug, but it has been working for over 8 years and it cost about $5.00.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pslonaker
You might install these... http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12573...sert-caps.aspx . I have several friends that are running these until they can pull the engines to remove the Y pipe with one guy running these about 3 years...no issues. I can see where the Y pipe might break off if you are "stump-jumpin" out in the ocean or great lakes area, but I dont see that happening in a regular lake.Even tho the Y pipe is aluminum, it has thick walls and when I removed mine, I just tossed them out onto the driveway. They didnt break or dent but they made a lot of noise until they stopped bouncing. I also have two friends running RV type rubber caps. The Y pipe isnt round...it is oval shape and installing the rubber caps was a massive pain, but when you get them on, use one of the big hose clamps to hold it down. I dont remember exactly if it was a 3, 3-1/2 or 4 inch diameter rubber cap plug, but it has been working for over 8 years and it cost about $5.00.
I run the ocean a LOT....
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll send pic's 3 inch pipe we welded to the collar inside the tail pipe I removed the silent choice all of it didn't I send you pic's last winter ?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a friends boat with the rubber cap over the Y pipe. The rubber cap is still there today.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???-dsc04250.jpg   Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???-dsc04251.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cole-One
I'll send pic's 3 inch pipe we welded to the collar inside the tail pipe I removed the silent choice all of it didn't I send you pic's last winter ?
Hi Mike. Yes you did and I looked at them again...I actually sent you an email the other day... But if I recall, didn't you have your engines out of the boat when you did that ?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pslonaker
Here is a friends boat with the rubber cap over the Y pipe. The rubber cap is still there today.
Thanks. The rubber caps and/or insert caps are a great option. I just have to decide whether or not I can be comfortable with leaving the pipes in or go through the expense of pulling the motors. I'm still wondering if there's any way to get those pipes out without pulling the motors, suppose I cut the legs of the pipes off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.