Water preassure in Bravo XR?

Notices

Water preassure in Bravo XR?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ozarkdevil
HyFive578, what kind of water pressure are you seeing on your 525's?
At idle, I see anywhere from 4-7 psi. Cruising at 3500, I see high 20's. with RPM's from 4000-5000, I see mid to high 30's. And my engine temps rarely exceed 160, almost always around 155.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
With out the direct water intake pressure is LOW, not high. I assume it's high with the transom pick up due to water is forced into it harder then with the outdrive intake. I have vessel view, the read outs are right. Temp does creeps up a bit to 160-165 may be 170 but I don't run it long enough, just short test runs. There is GOT to be an air leak and sucking air, but there is only a few places this can happen. I wanna cry.
I'm just spit balling so sorry if its an issue. But high/low readings my point is it could be the reading (gauge). You have vessel view but the readings are interpreted by the computer based on readings coming from the sensors. The wiring or computer for the readings being seen are not without error. Not saying this is your issue but just a WAG. To find out if its the reading on vessel view, just wire your port sender to the starboard and vise versa. Let the reading from one motor show up on the other reading.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I'm just spit balling so sorry if its an issue. But high/low readings my point is it could be the reading (gauge). You have vessel view but the readings are interpreted by the computer based on readings coming from the sensors. The wiring or computer for the readings being seen are not without error. Not saying this is your issue but just a WAG. To find out if its the reading on vessel view, just wire your port sender to the starboard and vise versa. Let the reading from one motor show up on the other reading.
Dodge bud.. No issue with any comments. I welcome all of them, and appreciate them. I might have to check the reading, but since my temp. does creep up a bit, I think I am getting low WP and low volume somehow. Using the direct water pick ups, while my WP seems a bit high, temp is good. Forcing additional water into the system works.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Flushed the heII out of it, backwards, forward, removed all hoses, removed the plates from both coolers, used a thin stainless rod to clean all the holes, etc. Nothing there. The sensor is good since the pressure came up with the temp, outside intake bypassing the drive. PLus I got the vessel view, so the connections are different. Switching intake hoses from Port to Starboard also showed that there is no issue with the drive tubes and intakes. The problem remained in the same motor. I will try the soap around the impeller housing. There isn't much else possible. I'm not at "ease', just relived a bit that others had this WP gremlin too. But the impeller and housing is new. I changed them at the first sign of low WP. THis is a head scratcher.
Is your water pressure measured with a water line to the dash or is it electric? If it is electric my suggestion is to measure the water pressure with a mechanical gauge at the the intake manifold. If you don't have one, I can lend you one.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Registered

The real puzzle here is that the temp Guage is verifying the pressure readings, so we all have to think outside and around the box, possibly within the box ! Did I mention I love puzzles! Paradox , we will figure this out.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
The real puzzle here is that the temp Guage is verifying the pressure readings, so we all have to think outside and around the box, possibly within the box ! Did I mention I love puzzles! Paradox , we will figure this out.
I hate puzzles LIKE THIS. But my screen name sure fits many of my situations in life.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Registered

Next step. Installing a clear plastic tube, right before the pump housing. Outdrive in a big tub and see if there is any bubbles = sucking air from the intake hose.

11 AM update, Changed most of the clamps, plastic tube is in, no bubbles. (well, very few small bubbles, which might be ok, picking them up from the tub while hose is running) 4-6 PSI at idle, 10-12 at 1500 RPM's. Not running any higher on shore, but will do a test trial again in the water. will see?.

Last edited by PARADOX; 04-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

Is this the engine with or without the power steering and cooler, and where is the sender located in the maze? I looked at the 525s in the classifieds and your right with that serpentine setup I don't see it slipping.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Registered

Power steering. Power steering pumps and coolers is on BOTH engines. Neither motors are "primary". I get power steering with either motor on, and of course with both on. Normally when I put - put, I use one motor, and alternate. THis way I can keep the hours lower. I removed the hose from the PS cooler as well and while I can see in it, I can blow air through it easily.Besides, the PS cooler is after the water pressure sensor. THe sensor is on the top of the oil cooler on the starboard side. After hose item No. 5, right above No. 2 on top of the cooler. Anything past that point should show High pressure if there is a blockage or restriction. So I would think.. See pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539672[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Water preassure in Bravo XR?-525-hoses.png  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running out of ideas, but when you reinstalled the sea water pump housing, did you coat the mating surfaces with Perfect Seal? Just to eliminate any air leakage there??

Another thought I had, was the bearings inside the water pump / fuel pump assembly. If they are worn / slipping, maybe they are not holding the impeller under pressure. The fact that you're getting pressure from the exterior pickup is from the force of the water being pushed up there, so I think that is purely coincidental and my suspicion is that if you go that route, you are not solving the problem and something else will fail or alternatively you solve the problem and then you will have way too high pressure.

It will be a pain in the butt but a possible way to prove / disprove this theory is to switch the entire sea pump / fuel pump assemblies on the two engines and see if the problem moves. The temperature creeping up confirms there is a flow / pressure problem and that its not likely the sensors.

Last edited by HyFive578; 04-09-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.