Flushing Power Steering

Notices

Flushing Power Steering

Old 09-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flushing Power Steering

I think I got water in the power steering some how over the last year while I was dong all the work> I have no idea how it got in there but it definatly did Anyone have any ideas how to fluch it out best? I was going to take off the low preasure hose off the pump and then put it in a bottle and start her up and let it empty out and then fill it up and repeat a couple times. Is there a beeter way?

Jon
Old 09-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Bo Knows

To flush out the pump take the return hose off the bottom of the p/s pump and put a cap on the pump reservoir where the hose came off. Next put an extension on the hose and run that into an oil drain bucket. Make sure you secure the hose in the bucket or the oil pressure will make it fly out & make a big mess. I usually clamp vise grips on the hose and lay it in the bottom of the bucket. Don't clamp the hose too tight because you need oil to run out of it. Put your water muffs on or do this next part with the boat in the water. You will need 2 people & 2 - 3 gallons of ATF or p/s fluid. With a long neck funnel fill the p/s reservoir, now have your buddy start the engine and keep turning the steering wheel full lock to lock while you keep the reservoir full by adding fluid. All the old fluid will be flushed out into the drain bucket. After you've done this with 2 - 3 gallons of fluid shut the engine off, reattach the hose, and fill to proper level. Recheck the level after you've driven the boat a short distance because the pump may have purged some air out of it and may have to be topped off. Keeping your p/s fluid clean will give your pump a long life and can even make you power steering work smoother !! Good luck!!

Bo knows

Old 09-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks Bo. I noticed the problem when it was hard to steer at idle
Old 09-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Bo Knows

Your welcome ! Also congrats on getting back on the water!! It's supposed to be close to 90 this weekend & sunny, Enjoy !

Bo

Old 09-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I tried to do it the easy way today and it worked ok. I sucked out the pump with my oil sucker and then refiled, started and turned the wheel. And repeated a couple of time. Seemed to work well. There is still just a hit of color in there but it is clean and hopefully that will burn off.

Jon