Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Offshore pickup & sea strainer >

Offshore pickup & sea strainer

Notices

Offshore pickup & sea strainer

Old 09-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Apache22

Default Offshore pickup & sea strainer

tired of sucking up sand with Bravo lower water pickup, looking a Teague offshore pickup and sea strainer, how do i determin what lenghth pickup pipe? they have 10, 12, & 16" ?

Sea Strainer they have strait through, 90 degrees out left and right or U turn left and right?
how do you figure what you need? I have a Gen IV BB

Old 09-02-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand will still get through those strainers, the screen is not fine enough to stop sand, but on bigger material they will do the job !
Old 09-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Apache22

Lets see if i can make this clearer.............

1. The sea stainer is NOT to stop sand
2. The offshore transom pickup IS to stop sucking up sand
3. Not using the Bravo low water pickup IS to stop sucking sand
4. The sea Strainer is to use to stop leaves, plastic, etc

I AM asking how to determine offhore pick up lenght and placement. and how to determine which Sea Strainer style to
use straight through, 90 degree etc as outlined in my first post

Old 09-02-2002, 08:13 PM
DanL

your pickup height is determined by where you drill the hole through your transom. If your drilling 6 inches above the boat bottom, 7 inches should do it and you can always nibble the bottom of the pickup away for more clearance or speed. The strainer goes where it fits and has an unobstructed run to the raw water pump from the transon pickup. I'd guess the stbd side, mid way to the transom. Below water level is great, or keep it as low as you can. Thru bolt it, no cheesey wood screws. The location and the proximity to the pump and pickup determine whether its straight,90, or 180. Say hi to Adrian and Dino at Teague. You want me to put this in for you also? good luck!!

Old 09-02-2002, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mistake there, sounds like you got it going your way!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:06 AM
Offshore Addiction

just put a standard gear case housing on it,or keep it off the beach.....everybody has that problem,youll even pick up a little speed!!!!!

Old 09-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Apache22

have never beached my boat

Old 09-04-2002, 07:24 AM
Offshore Addiction

what areas do you boat,wheres the sand coming from? biggest problem people,including me have around here is shell plugging up the coolers.....had a customer that kept wiping out pumps on his center engine,and never realized that when he backed out of his lift he would kick up all the sand and dirt,and suck it into his motor,wipe the pump and blow head gaskets 20 minutes into his trip......theres got to be a shallow area your encountering somewhere.installation on those are all determined on where your hull design will allow it,the depth of your vee,were you are able to mt the strainer,and still be able to access it for cleaning.you do not want your pick up to aereate your propeller,youll cause slippage.....take a ride in your boat and very carefully look off the rear at where your water is displacing off your hull,note it,find the lowest place to mt your strainer,that deterimes where the inlet and outlet need to be placed....make sure you install a water pressure gauge so that your able to determine if you have the proper angle on the front and its length,also making sure the water isnt areated going into your motor.....if you use A&N fittings understand these will have to be inspected quite often,they'll split....make sure you keep an eye on your water pressure gauge during test runs,the faster you run the more your hull will lift....gil offers about the easiest one to clean,it has a clamp that holds the top on,if you get into the weeds or it gets crap in it,you can clean it out in seconds.....good luck

Last edited by Offshore Addiction; 09-04-2002 at 09:11 AM.