Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Brabo one won't shift into forward >

Brabo one won't shift into forward

Notices

Brabo one won't shift into forward

Old 09-02-2002, 05:50 PM
gene

Default Brabo one won't shift into forward

The last couple of times out when I shift into forward, the drive won't catch until I slightly bring the RPM's up. I disconected the shift cable and tried shifting manually to see if it was a cable adjustment problem. I still would not catch forward. Reverse works fine. Has anyone out there had this problem and what's the fix. Thanks Gene.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May have a slightly bent shift fork or the clutch is sticking on the shaft-don't run it too long without having it checked-it may slip in use. And that would be very bad.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:20 PM
FindMe

Default Start here

I will keep looking for you... Does the shift interrupt switch work? Merc kills the ign for a millisecond to allow shifting, worth checking...

Shifting problems
http://www.bravodrives.com/GasolineS...t/96/96_05.pdf

Interrupt switch
http://www.bravodrives.com/GasolineS...t/02/02_01.pdf

Old 09-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What drive do you have.
If it is a BRAVO drive then if you push on the cable to go into forward you may have a bad cable. I had the same problem. The cable that goes to the drive had rubbed on the engine coupling and had rubbed a hole in the side of the cable - this let's the inner wire push out the hole and the drive doesn't want to go into gear. Take a flashlite and look down the back of the motor at the coupling to see if the cable has been rubbing.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you EVER tried to shift it without the motor running?? If you have, even ONCE, you may have bent or even broke the shift lever. Even a LOT of dealers don't tell you this fact when they deliver a new or even a used boat. I was told by my dealer many years ago when I bought my boat. But the salesman was a friend of mine of sorts and knew I had never owned a Bravo equiped boat before.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:12 PM
envision

I had the same problem when I took some potential buyers out for a test drive.

It turned out that the outside of the shift cable had collapsed so reverse worked fine but no forward.

The mech says there is a quick test for this if you know where to stick your fingers and that it happens a lot with older drives.

Hope you get it figured out!

Old 09-02-2002, 08:26 PM
DOCTOR DAVE

i've seen this several times this year, seems it always turns out to be the upper gear set, usually the brass ring comes off one of the gears and doesnt allow the fork to shift the clutch into foward.
down side to this is you have to buy a 2002 gear set with all the goodies to change it over, i recommend getting the complete set with new shift fork, retail is around 1200. call marc at bam, he has them in stock at a better price.
dave

Old 09-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry No fwd gear !!!

Gene,
Also you might want to trim the drive up and look at the shift cable were it goes into the bellhousing. Sometimes the cable comes loose from the nut it is pressed into. Which meens sometimes you'll have reverse and neutral but no fwd.
Just something else to check !

Pwrbt33