Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
A/C power needs >

A/C power needs

Notices

A/C power needs

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking to use some sort of portable ac unit?
I'm just curious because I'd like to do the same. I have a small 2000 Honda generator that is very quiet. It would run a 6,000 btu unit.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

Forgot to include this link earlier when asked what unit I was looking at....my bad.

http://www.marineair.com/Internation...h-115V60Hz1-Ph

I'm pretty fussy about the look of the boat, so I'd like to get something that looks top notch. Not sure how a portable system would or wouldn't support that, but would be willing to consider something like that if it worked out.

I'm thinking I'll have this boat for another few years, but not much longer than that. I'd be willing to drop some change for this, but if it gets too expensive, it just wouldn't make sense considering it probably won't add much to the value of the boat.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

Nice looking unit. An AC unit would be nice I'm just not sure how often I would use it. Of course that's what I say now. This summer, in South Louisiana, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

I was in the same "boat" as you with the new born. I figured I needed something to cool the cabin off to let my lil boy take a nap. Sooooo. I ended up buying a product called, "Koolerair"

I did test it in South La. heat and it cooled down the cabin, but never used it b/c we always let him sleep under tent on the beach we were on. It did work good, but never needed it for kid!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

I have a pretty nice d/c to a/c converter from our rolling showroom that was used to run a couple furnaces if you`re interested.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
I was in the same "boat" as you with the new born. I figured I needed something to cool the cabin off to let my lil boy take a nap. Sooooo. I ended up buying a product called, "Koolerair"

I did test it in South La. heat and it cooled down the cabin, but never used it b/c we always let him sleep under tent on the beach we were on. It did work good, but never needed it for kid!!!
I agree. My kid was on the boat at 3 months old, and never had an issue. You just have to keep them out of the sun.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

I had 5000 btu units in both my 91 Baja 260 and 03 Baja 302. I installed the ac in the 260, factory installed on the 302. They did have shore power but wanted ac while anchor, if needed. Bought a Honda 2000 portable and worked perfect with power to spare. Now, a Honda 1000 will work as friend who bought my 260 had this and used often. With a 6000 btu, I would buy the 2000.

Here's a pic of the gen on transom of the 260 but its better to put it on the bow, out of the way as in the second pic on my 302 with the 260 next to it.

Last edited by firehill19; 02-05-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I have a pretty nice d/c to a/c converter from our rolling showroom that was used to run a couple furnaces if you`re interested.
I'll keep it in mind if we end up going that route!

Regarding keeping them out of the sun, this is more than a wife thing than anything else. I'm fine with just giving him some shade, but considering I'm spending a lot of cash on things that I want (rebuilding engines, upgrading stereo components, etc.), this will make her happy! It's in my best interest for her to like the boat!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

I have a 5000btu Dometic a/c. It will run with a 1000 watt continuous Duralast (Autozone) inverter for 2hrs on one group 31 Sears Platinum (made by Odyessy) battery. After 2 hours the inverter will turn off because of low voltage. If I remember right the battery voltage was 11.2 after 2 hours. After the inverter turned off I was curious if the same battery would start my 496. It started right up as if the a/c was never on. I was shocked to say the least.

If you run the a/c on 2 of your batteries I would think they should run the a/c for about 4 hours. IMO a generator would not be needed for day trips.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I have a 5000btu Dometic a/c. It will run with a 1000 watt continuous Duralast (Autozone) inverter for 2hrs on one group 31 Sears Platinum (made by Odyessy) battery. After 2 hours the inverter will turn off because of low voltage. If I remember right the battery voltage was 11.2 after 2 hours. After the inverter turned off I was curious if the same battery would start my 496. It started right up as if the a/c was never on. I was shocked to say the least.

If you run the a/c on 2 of your batteries I would think they should run the a/c for about 4 hours. IMO a generator would not be needed for day trips.
That would be huge! The number of days where we would have to run the air continuously for very long is basically zero, so this might be a good solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.