Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
a/c Inverter Question >

a/c Inverter Question

Notices

a/c Inverter Question

Old 09-04-2002, 06:03 PM
RickerTX

Default a/c Inverter Question

Guys, I am running a 150 watt a/c invertor out of my cig lighter on the dash to run a 9"tv for the kids in the "cabin" on my 25 eliminator daytona. Problem is that if it runs by itself without the motor running and the alternator putting out at least 11-12 volts the damn thing beeps all of the time and threatens to shut down.

Are the batteries(dual setup) too weak? Should I wire the invertor directly to the batteries and bypass the cig lighter plug-in? Let me know what you guys think I should do. My two boys gotta have their movies at night at the marina or they go crazy.

Help AudioFn!! Thanks!

Rick

Old 09-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wire it directly to the batteries with a fuse in line - just in case. The wiring to the cig. plug isn't big enough to power the inverter. They usually cut out at anything under 10 volts. I have a 1500 watt constant load inverter on my boat and the power cables are the same size as my starter cables. At 150 watts output the inverter is drawing at least 15 amps DC- probably closer to 20. The lower the batterie voltage gets the more amps it draws.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:20 PM
envision

I have had lots of experience with buring up inverters and have found the the bigger the better.

My small 350 watt beeps unless the car is running and even then, the Nintendo and TV have to be started in the right order.

My 150 watt melted through the carpet in my car just running a lap top charger.

If you still have problems after the larger wires, try a 700 watt or so model. Boaters World has one for $100 that they say is "marine" rated.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-05-2002, 09:08 AM
RickerTX

Thanks Tinkerboater and envision. Based on your experience, I will probably buy the larger inverter and wire it directly to the batteries. We also run an playstation 2 with the tv/vcr combo and I do not want to have my inverter "burn through the carpet" as yours did. The Boaters World deal sounds perfect. I will drop by there today and pick one up. Thanks for your help guys.

Rick

Old 09-05-2002, 04:15 PM
RickerTX

Well, I bought the 700 watt from Boaters World this afternoon and I am going to wire it with #6 from the batteries to just in front of the helm in the cabin. The instructions say "do not install in the engine compartment" so the only other safe place is up front where the power is needed. I'll let you kow how it works out.

Rick

Old 09-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I mounted mine to the back side of the front of the back seat enclosure ( under the seat ) It is better to keep the 12 volt wires as short as possible and then run the 120 volt wires to where you need the power. They don't want the inverter in the engine compartment for two reasons. The main reason is that the inverter isn't ignition protected the other reason is that heat is a real problem for inverters and the engine compartment can get real hot. Under the back seat is a good spot and is usually cool and dry.