Oil in the engine.... HOW MUCH

Notices

Oil in the engine.... HOW MUCH

Old 09-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil in the engine.... HOW MUCH

I am wondering how do you know if the dipstick is correct? I think that I may be airating my oil because ther is to much in there. After a hard run it drops off the preasure just a bit. Not a lot but a bit. If I drop back to idle it will build preasure slowly. I was wondering how I could figure out were the oil lever should be when sitting in the pan like say over the evening so that I could measure up the dipstick. Should the oil be leven with the pan, higher, lower??? Over the years that boat has had a lot of improper stuff done to it and I think that this could be one of them

The engine is a 330hp 454 stock. I think the pan is either large or the dipstick is wrong because I put in about 8qts if I remember last time I filled her up.

Jon
Old 09-04-2002, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon,
I'll try to get some pan and dipstick measurements for you tomorrow. I have about the same motor and it took 9 quarts on first fill after the rebuild. It now takes 6 and 1 for the filter when I cange oil and I think my pressure is good across the board.......
Ken
Old 09-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks look forward to your info

Jon
Old 09-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jon,

Don't know if this helps or not, but my manual shows a stock 330hp 454 to hold 7 qts of oil. If someone has changed something I'm sure this won't apply.

I have always wondered if this meant 7qts with filter, or 7qts plus the oil in the filter? HMMMM

Buck
Old 09-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil level should be below the crank throws so take that into account. It should not be as high as the oil pan rails-more like a bit below the lowest part of the timing cover(where the oil pan dips down).
Old 09-04-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

Audiofn, my reference book shows 2 different pans, 6 qrt & 8qrt. the sump on the 6qrt extends half way to the front seal, while the 8qrt extends 3/4 of the way to the front seal. am not sure what is on my 330, but 6qrt is on my 420s. will ck further tomorrow
Old 09-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks guys that gives me at leaste something to go by and would explain a bit why when it is running I get no leaks but as soon as I shut it down I get about two or three drips out of the rear main (I think). I will look into this more tomarrow.

Jon
Old 09-05-2002, 09:39 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Do you know how the small engine have you fill the oil until it runs out a small drain hole? Well that's how the dipstick hole works. You just fill it until you get a slight dribble of oil out the tube.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. I have a very similar issue. One of my engines has a cast oil pan with a port side dipstick. After the rebuild it took 5 quarts to get to the full mark on the dipstick and I said "well thats not enough" so I added the usual 7. I eventually took a couple quarts out and my pressures hold better now. Its the cast pan with the cooling fins I think they use on the 7.4 MIA engines but Im not sure. Ive never seen a Bravo application with the side dipstick. And how do I measure where it is in realtion to the pan bottom or crank with it in the boat and together?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the dipstick/pan capacity, unless someone has replaced the dipstick or pan, then just go with what it says on the stick. My standard 330/454 had a really nice cast aluminum pan. Don't know why, but it was nice and it held about 8 quarts. Dipstick marks matched that capacity (full = 8 qts).

As for the lowering of oil pressure slightly after a run, thats perfectly normal. As the oil heats up, viscosity goes down. When you slow down for while the oil cooler does its job a little more effectively and viscosity goes back up. Viscosity up - pressure up, viscosity down - pressure down.

Quick Reply: Oil in the engine.... HOW MUCH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.