Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread)           ad repair)) >

Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread) ad repair))

Notices

Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread) ad repair))

Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread repair)

Okay, the two sections have been indexed and welded together. I checked the shimming on gears and they will set up without any issues. When I purchased this lower the threads for the spanner nut were damaged beyond repair, so I cut them off and replaced them with a threaded ring. The only thing that remains is to step up the cavitation plate and painting. I have taken my time with this project to work out any issues and to develop better methods. So far everthing has worked out well. On a side note, I went to FL to visit DanB. He's living the good life.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread)           ad repair))-cutting-threads.jpg  

Last edited by Maxx; 09-08-2002 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:30 AM
Registered

The ring welded into place. The margins were "V'ed" out and the piece mig welded.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread)           ad repair))-thread-ring-1.jpg  

Last edited by Maxx; 09-08-2002 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Registered

Now the blending begins. My shop is starting to look like a giant aluminum furball.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread)           ad repair))-thread-ring-2.jpg  
Old 09-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Registered

Default Marine prices

I was ecstatic to see Alfster's post on the hydraulic steering! He has come up with an excellent design at a reasonable cost. It is about time that the consumers take these marine parts/accessory manufacturers to task for the outrageous profit they take on these items. For example: a set of aluminum planes / trim tabs $2000.00+, aluminum exhaust manifolds that cost more than a set of aluminum heads, 1500.00+ for a swim platform, or 400.00 for a very simple shaft. These prices go beyond the absurd, and there is no argument that these manufacturers can put forth that would convince me other wise. I am preparing to throw down the gauntlet and go in to this business, research on some CNC equipment has already begun. My plan is to offer quality products at REASONABLE prices, and not gouge the boating enthusiast. This may take a couple of years but I am determined. Whew! I feel better now that I have vented.

Last edited by Maxx; 09-08-2002 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Right on John!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

For primarily aluminum work, Fadal and Haas both produce quality American-built CNC equipment. I use heavy-duty brick s-house ultra-close tolerance Japanese machines, but my work requires that level of machine.

For a fraction of the price of the top-tier Japanese iron, the above-mentioned equipment will perform wonderfuly on what you are planning. They will also remove a lot of material from steels as well, but they do wince when you try to run em like I run my Jap hosses.

As a side note, the Haas and Fadal machines will also run rings around my "comparatively slow" expensive Japanese mills.

Japs also make lighter, faster stuff to compete with the 2 Ammurrican brands above. They are selling at closeout prices, too, so do look around. Korean and Vietnamese machines are actually of an acceptable level of quality, too, but you had better have prior experience with CNC machines because you will end up being your own primary service tech on them - they are Cheap, too.

I hate doing it, but stay away from anything with a BRIDGEPORT name on it, unless it has a Japanese-made Fanuc control on it. I can give you chills about their in-house Bridgeport mfd. CNC control. Still had prefer to steer you towards Haas and Fadal. Great value in those items. ( I own neither ).
Old 09-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. The machine we used to do this work is a Cincinnati Milacron, however, that is a bit of an over-kill. I am looking at one ( forgot the manufacturer) for around $20,000.00 including training. I will check it out tomorrow and get your thoughts on it.

Last edited by Maxx; 09-08-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny you say that. I was just looking thru Popular Mechanics and there is an ad for Haas CNC base model starting at $19,995. at www.HaasCNC.com 888-545-0535.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered

Thanks Marty, I'll check them out. With any machine of this nature my primary concern is support followed by parts availability. I don't want to hunt down circuit boards, or oddball class 7 bearing sizes, etc. Oh, and here is a picture of the shortened shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread)           ad repair))-shaft.jpg  
Old 09-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Registered

MAXX
Very nice looking job on the drive.I'm getting in line definitly interested in a shorty.I made all of my parts in my father-in -laws machine shop,I'm not a machinest nor claim to be.Just had alot of direction from his guys.He is not in the machine shop business,it just supports his main line of work.He has 2 cnc's several verical mills W/ prototracs and a host of other machines.He maybe able to help you find what your looking for at a reasonable price.In october I'm getting his engineering dept to put the steering system in blue prints and your welcome to them.The 30" tabs on the boat were also made in his shop.

Brian

Quick Reply: Cutting a Bravo lower (updates and thread) ad repair))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.