Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Beehive Valve Springs.  What if any are the downfall of these springs?? >

Beehive Valve Springs. What if any are the downfall of these springs??

Notices

Beehive Valve Springs. What if any are the downfall of these springs??

Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

their are applications where a conical spring is a plus,a bbc is not one of them.bob madera can explain it to you and recomend the correct spring.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Running beehives in a sbc turned up to 5600. 5 years no problems. Just offering real life input.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 811 Likes on 380 Posts

I don't claim to be an expert in the field but a couple years ago a buddy had the bee hive springs installed. I'll just say those lasted about an hour. long story short they were replaced with conventional springs. There was a big debate on OsO a while back. Do a search.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

The theoretical advantages of a conical spring is the ability to use smaller retainers for decreased mass, improved spring harmonics for reduced wear, heat and friction, and increased clearance/reduced coil bind on higher lift camshafts.
The debate continues, with some builders favoring this design while others prefer a traditional non-tapered design and the ability to run dual or triple spring setups as opposed to a single coil design.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
their are applications where a conical spring is a plus,a bbc is not one of them.bob madera can explain it to you and recomend the correct spring.

And so can any professional engine builder with gray matter between thier ears. Valve springs are not rocket science.

With the correct info ( cam card, lifter part number, target installed height) valvetrain selection is relitivly easy. Possibly tedious, but easy.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I would call Rayler as they have a lot of experience with these, many of them bad. I think you will find that they start having limitations when things get bigger, ie lift, weight, etc. THEY ARE NOT PIXIE DUST(sorry mikek) The beehives probably have some advantages on a lower, slower lobe. This of course is not a professional opinion.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Back in 2011 when I rebuilt my HP500's I called an old friend of mine who is in the high performance engine building business. I wanted him to set me up with new cams, and aluminum heads. In our discussion we talked about longevity and low maintenance.
The heads came with PAC b-hive springs, part # 1295p. These engines still run strong today and many blast at 5800 rpm.
although they are not in my boat now they still preform flawless for the new owners. Maybe not so much problems with the spring but the way they were installed. Some of you may of heard of my friend, his name is David he owns Reher-Morrison.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran them in my Baja with a procharged 572 w/651 cam making 1150hp nine years ago never broke a thing. Sold the boat without the procharger, and to the best of my knowledge the guy is still running them...
Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I do remember when the beehive's where breaking, that Comp (big beehive pusher at the time) changed from PAC to another supplier. It was when they changed suppliers is when the breakage started happening. That's when many consumers learned of PAC.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PAC fantastic springs... like a Timex watch!!! lol stands the test of time!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.