Notices

Egt

Old 09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Egt

OK guys --- My EGT's are drilled into the heads at the edge of the exhaust port #6 on both engines.
The question is how far do you insert the thermocouple into the port opening???

I think I burned up both of mine this weekend.( havn't checked it out yet) Saw 1425 * for short time.

They are both 6 years old.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:37 AM
Excalibur

I run egt sensors in every cylinder of my porsche.The tip needs to be in the center of the port or in my case header.1425 not bad
temp. My car idles at 1100 and runs as hot as 1600,rule of thump used to be no more than 1500 at w.o.t. if you want it to live.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Tink,

Never occurred to me to locate the probes IN THE HEAD. I like that idea. Can you send pix or a sketch of how they are placed? I think I'm gonna go that route.

Six years sounds like decent life. Are you sure they have gone bad? I know most of the probes I have been seeing will read through 1600 and I figure that is still safe for the probe (I dang sure don't know this for fact though).

A thermocouple will create a small voltage when hot. If you have a digital multimeter you can hook up to them and screw then into a block of aluminum (to keep the tips from the direct flame) and heat the block with an acetylene torch. If you never get any voltage (we're talking millivolts here so don't look for anything big) before the aluminum melts, then they are shot.

All probe info I have read say to put the tip in the center of the pipe, tube, port, etc..

I'd have sorta figured that an in-head location would be a bit too close to the exhaust valve (and flame front) but six years proves otherwise. In those six years, how many hours dou you figure they have seen?
Old 09-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Mcollinstn==

I looked at a cut up head and figured that if I stayed very close to the exhaust flange part of the head I wouldn't get into the water jacket. I drilled the hole just big enough to be a very snug fit for the thermocouple. Had to tap them in. I didn't use the threaded fitting. I drilled the hole so that there is still about 1/8 metal between the thermocouple and the header flange surface.
Electronics work is my job and my hobby so I know about K type thermocouples. Havn't looked them over yet though. May just be a bad wire. Had one start giving low readings before it just failed and then the other one failed. I use a FLUKE 2 position digital tester as a display and set it to scan both probes.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 09-09-2002 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this work look at the pick for JSV. In # 2 cyl but I bet that is a EGT wire.

http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...threadid=26768
Old 09-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Registered

Yes that is an EGT thermocouple. I don't know if Jim V. did it first or if I did. Mine got installed 6 years ago. I looked at a cut up head that Jim had to see how much metal was in that area. Works great ---No burnt pistons.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT