Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok . You did so many things here and there and many things way over the top - plus the explaining of it very hard to figure out things at times. Also very hard to keep up with what on earth you did and what you did not do..

I am really glad you got it running and really mean it. Your reply that thru some way off including myself was - you were asked did you verify timing many many posts ago.

your reply "Installed the distributor the same way - checked it with a timing lite, I know its pretty close since it fires right up fine with extra fuel. Heck I thought you checked timing properly while it was running. As I knew you had the manual as well to check what was needed and how to check it.

Just saying I think you aged SB about 15 years over this and he even liked the post # 35 about verifying timing. I bet he thought you had that covered as well because of post your # 38. Not dogging you - just saying that's it. Stop over thinking all of this and stick to the basics, PROPER fuel - air - spark then of course PROPER compression and PROPER timing. You have the service manual, read it and dial your boat in. Good luck with it. I am saying all of this a good way.

Last edited by BUP; 05-12-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha well it's not running properly yet! I know I know... I really thought timing was not an issue. I set it while cranking, knowing it would be off a little. Didn't think this far. What threw me off was that it ran fine off extra fuel, so I kept telling myself fuel fuel fuel, not ignition. I still find it very odd how different it behaved with new injevtors though. Let's wait till I get it times and water tested first.

I guess this is a doh moment. And I owe SB a beer. I just convinced myself it wasn't timing a long time ago. And i still think it was both. But I'll swap the old ones back in after I get the timing set to see what happens.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,455 Posts

No, but when people bring things in that have never been touched, thus many problems over the years, that add up to the condition why they have to tow in a non running vehicle, and a dead battery (read - now cleared out computer of all memory/history) and expect it to be one 'small thing' because the vehicle has been 'so good I never have had to do anything' drives you nuts. Of course this mentaility also means 'I don't have the $$$ for even a set of plugs.'

So....how do you diagnose that - ie:multitude of problems - with an exact quote ? And when you are over there affordability the 1st half hr you are diagnosing ? They have children that need to be places ? There company got hit hard by the economy crumble and they owe banks quazzillions ? They now scrap for work (side jobs) vs deciding how much more big equipment they need to purchase to keep up wih customer demand ? And......you know them well.

That's my grey balding hair. Too much outside forces in my job. What we are here to do is now 5% of my job. The other 95% is the customer themselves. I basically give a steep discount for psychotherapy. THat is what I don't like. The economy bust turned a 10% rate of this to 95% or more.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Registered

Now that it half azz runs check for water in fuel and change the plugs, you've probably washed the cylinders and plugs with a lot of unburnt fuel from cranking on it for the past week. And if it still stumbles at the hit of the throttle there's probably still not enuf trimming in it.

Last edited by raisingkane; 05-13-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Registered

I will set the timing Friday, and change the plugs. I don't have water in the fuel from the tank (none in the separator). My concern is water in the fuel from the actual fuel cell itself. I would imagine you wouldn't see that water in the intake since it was atomized out of the injectors.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Registered

Atomized water you could see on the throttle plates and the fuel would be milky as it puddles on the blades

Last edited by raisingkane; 05-13-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

Cool, then I don't have water in the fuel! It looked fine to me. I still will post my final o-ring sizes when I am happy with how it fits. I should know by Saturday.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Registered

wow, glad you got it running. Back to the basics is usually the best way to solve stupid problems like this.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

1000 posts ago actually post # 1 you said that you FILLED a coffee can with primed fuel - so did that have water in it way back then. Also stated the boat ran with fuel added until it starved of fuel. Did it seem like you had water in the fuel back then - water can NOT combust like fuel so your engine will miss and really badly depending on how much water and if too much water mixed with fuel, the engine will just stall like you turned the ign. key off or even worse. Also way too much water mix in the fuel, you will know while trying to start the engine all the way up till it hydrolocks. Just saying
Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok,,,chill have a beer,,,then back to the 525 hard starting after sits,,,lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.