Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just made a chatastoropic mistake. I asked my girlfriend to turn the water on, but didn't make sure she did. I already warmed the engine up before. While I was checking the timing the engine, it started to squeal. I thought it was the belt, but I stopped working on it, went to the helm, and noticed the temp was nearly 200. I shut it down, realized the problem, turned the water on, let it cool for 5 mins and then started it. The squeal is gone, and engine temp returned to normal. I'll never make that mistake again...

But more importantly... What have I done..... Begun to seize a main bearing?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The impeller in the housing not getting any water to lube it - starting to burn up and stick inside the impeller housing as its spinning - hopefully not the same thing when you are in bed with the lady or any main squeeze for that matter. Just messing with you - Really have to poke a bit and make you laugh or at least us have a laugh or 2.

I would change the impeller before you really burn up the engine out on the water under hard load.

Last edited by BUP; 05-13-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Registered

Lmfao. I will replace the impeller. I Take full blame for this. And the rest of this. I overthink everything yet I miss the stupidest things. Damn.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:00 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Your fine just messing with you and slow your thoughts down - I know you are dying to hit the water. really I am messing with you in the last posts.

Last edited by BUP; 05-13-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Lol okay okay. God I can't believe I did that. I can't read the timing marks so im going to borrow a better timing light with built in advance. It's running like **** now. I have it close to zero base timing now.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
hopefully not the same thing when you are in bed with the lady or any main squeeze for that matter.
LOL,
If your timing is jumping around increase your rpm, I have to get mine to about 1500 before I get a steady timing mark when in base timing mode and mine won't idle either when in base. Mark your timing marks with chalk or whiteout so you can see them, but a good timing light does help, and change that water pump impeller so we don't have to have the rebuild conversation.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered

Hahaha I already have a new impeller at my desk. I will put it in tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
Well, the long and painful saga comes to an end... For now.

I put the new injectors in, and noticed that the engine was kicking but not starting. Normally it would only do this once, but not continue to kick over. It would even start up for a few seconds randomly. So I then though to myself, maybe my timing marks on the distributor were off a bit, so I retarded the timing, and then got nothing. I advanced the timing, and boom, she started up. My timing light is currently loaned out until tomorrow, so I cant set it.

I adjusted it until it idled smoothly. It has a real nasty hesitation now right off idle, so I will first set the timing, then maybe change the TPS if it doesn't improve.

My timing was off by a fair amount, but there was a noticeable difference with the new injectors, so its possible my marina ruined them when checking them. Who knows.

Can I set the timing out of the water? I have to warm it up, put it in base timing mode, rev the engine to a specific RPM (I think 1100 but I will check), and then adjust to 12 BTC. When I did this last year I found my dash tach, and my older diagnostic tach were reading different numbers. I split the difference and set it. Should I invest in a new digital tach to get it perfect? And is the 12 degrees the optimum spec?

I figured its best to set the timing in the water with proper back pressure, but it would be much easier to set on land, since its running like crap right now. It almost stalls when you open the throttle, but revs once you get past idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YAZkHzb90&feature=youtu.be

Let the engine warm put it in base timing give it time to get to at least 1100 rpm set the timing at 10 and be done with it
Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

I'm going to so that tomorrow if I can see the damn timing mark. I can't see a thing lol. Should have marked it when I had the engine out. Yet another oversight. I'll figure it out.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

In base timing mode the point of increasing rpm's is to have a more steady beam of light from the timing light right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.