Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Delphi SS10425 $27.95 at rockhardauto. .
Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even worse news. I think I have two unrelated problems. I'm being optimistic, and really think the TPS is bad, related to the hesitation. But I also have a verified cold start problem now. I let my engine cool off since 6 pm, and just went outside to try to start it. She is still luke warm, not stone cold. I cranked it, and it started up, then stalled. It took 3 more crank cycles to keep it running.

A cold start problem can really only be caused by the coolant temp and intake air temp sensors right? Not TPS? I can't believe this thing. It's really killing me.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

What's your vacuum at idle at part throttle?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by nunnink23
. It's really killing me.
And you are killing us.

LOL.

Like a BudmanII junior. LMAOF>
Old 05-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Registered

SB - lol I'm guessing some inside joke.

Quick2500 - that's a scary thought on a freshly re-sealed engine. I will check it tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered

Hey guys, I will have a new standard TPS at 11 am. I want a new IAT sensor too, but I can't find the part number on the volvo Penta diagrams. Any idea what that part number is?

Rock auto lists an air charge temp sensor, but doesn't have my model under the list of applicable models.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

Have you done the plugs? Where they wet? Even if they wherent possible still bad. Also take a flashlight and look
down the throttle body to the intake plenum and see if there is a standing puddle of gas.
Can you not see the voltage reading from you TPS on you scan tool, if so with the motor off but the ignition on and the scanner on, slowy move the throttle and read for flat or dead spots in voltage from TPS
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered

I did change the plugs after the new injectors. There was no puddle in the intake yesterday. It sounds like a lean bog to me, and it also is a BEAR to start cold, which is why I was leaning toward IAT and TPS. I know I am just throwing parts and potentially wasting money, but I am so close. I almost have it right. I'll check vaccum today. Let's hope that's not the problem.

Any ideas on where to find that IAT sensor part number so NAPA can cross it?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

According to the volvo service manual, I don't even have an IAT sensor, but I do. It's right behind the TBI. And it definitely is an IAT, since when I disconnect it, it sets a warning for IAT high.

What gives? That's why I can't find it in the 5.7 gsi pefs parts diagrams.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
A cold start problem can really only be caused by the coolant temp and intake air temp sensors right? Not TPS?
NO
You have changed so many things that there are many things that can cause this. You can check and test all of these sensors without needing to replace them with the Rinda scanner. After checking/testing the IAT and coolant temp post the results. Follow Raisingkane's post on TPS. It should run different (not right) when in base timing mode, is that how it runs, idling, revving up? Is your timing mark steady (not moving around on the balancer) when you looking at it with the timing light? And double check timing and Spark plug wires order. Get a buddy to double check the spark plug wires order. 2 Plug wires reversed will cause all of these problems. The vacuum isn't just an indication that the motor has an internal problem, it also can identify wrong timing, vacuum leak in intake system and many other possible issues. It should be steady and not jumping around, and should be over 15 at idle. Hope you get this going soon, you're close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.