Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
NO
You have changed so many things that there are many things that can cause this. You can check and test all of these sensors without needing to replace them with the Rinda scanner. After checking/testing the IAT and coolant temp post the results. Follow Raisingkane's post on TPS. It should run different (not right) when in base timing mode, is that how it runs, idling, revving up? Is your timing mark steady (not moving around on the balancer) when you looking at it with the timing light? And double check timing and Spark plug wires order. Get a buddy to double check the spark plug wires order. 2 Plug wires reversed will cause all of these problems. The vacuum isn't just an indication that the motor has an internal problem, it also can identify wrong timing, vacuum leak in intake system and many other possible issues. It should be steady and not jumping around, and should be over 15 at idle. Hope you get this going soon, you're close.
I wanted to post a pic of my IAT sensor, but I don't see the option to upload any pictures. I will host it somewhere later. The cage around the IAT looks slightly melted. I still cant find the right part number, but I bet I forgot to take it out of the manifold while I was cleaning it. Maybe I ruined it.

I put all the factory sensors back in yesterday to start fresh, since none of the new parts helped.

I will do the vac test in an hour or so when I get back from the store.

I double checked the plug wires yesterday. It runs different in base timing mode for sure, the idle increases to 1000 rpm. It doesn't jump around, last year I remember it jumping around a lot, but this year its really steady.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

I am literally one hundred percent sure a stock 5.7 gsi pefs didn't have an IAT. In the diagram it shows a plug in the intake manifold for it. I bet this was added during my mefi IV conversion. It ran fine last year so it's not like that's the problem. But good to know. It's melted pretty bad so I'm replacing it. It has a GM part # on it "3579"
Old 05-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
I think I have the Delco EST ignition right? I saw a post that you set initial timing by using timing shunt tool on the back of the distributor. the post indicated that the service manuals are wrong.... Any thoughts here? I thought you just throw it in base timing mode with the Rinda tool.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...edure?t=271407
You do not set the base timing at the dist, its set using a shunt or rinda @ the ecm port. and at 10 degrees
Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
According to the volvo service manual, I don't even have an IAT sensor, but I do. It's right behind the TBI. And it definitely is an IAT, since when I disconnect it, it sets a warning for IAT high.

What gives? That's why I can't find it in the 5.7 gsi pefs parts diagrams.
Ok this party is about to be illuminated show us a pic of the IAT, your wired for one but there is not a IAT on that engine until i see it plugged in.

Last edited by Pliant; 05-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Registered

NAPA was not able to find my an IAT. I know my factory 5.7 GSI doesn't have one, but I do. It functions too, because when I unplug it, it trips a code in the MEFI IV computer.

The part number on it is 3579. I need to find this thing today. I am not ashamed to say that I am desperate to get this damn thing running properly. I still have 2 weeks of work to do on the rest of the boat before I can even think about putting it in the water.

Rock Auto has Walker Products part # 2101001 listed for a 2000 VP 5.7, but its only for models "5.7Gi-A 5.7XiL-A 5.7GSiL-A, 5.7GXi-A" I bet this is what I need right? I am going to see who has one locally.

Pliant - it was certainly plugged in, right behind the TBI where it should be.

Edit: Nobody has that walker part # in stock, and most of them cant even look it up. Some told me its no longer available. Great.

Last edited by nunnink23; 05-16-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

you need to post your model number of your engine to determine what parts and the set up if in fact your engine is OEM stock ? Is it ??? - I have no idea but if you post the correct engine model number, I can tell you the set up and the part #'s and what is NLA..

for a 2000 year model app your model # should be this - 57GSiPEFS is it ?

that model I posted means 5.7 - GM - fuel injected and EF means 2000 model year.

Last edited by BUP; 05-16-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

Yes that is my engine. It has an mefi IV computer though.

It sat overnight and took 2 mins of cranking on and off to start it.

Once it's been running it starts right up. Fuel pressure is good. Once it warms up I will see if the TPS changed the hesitation.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

Update 2: hesitation and cold start not solved by TPS. I didn't expect the cold start to be solved by that, but I honestly thought the TPS would solve the hesitation.

I'm at a loss now guys. I'm going to order that air charge temp sensor, but it's probably not going to change anything. Idk what else to do. I'm about to check vaccum. If I don't figure it out today, I think I need to buy the damn diacom tool.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Registered

Update 3:

Vaccum at idle (450-500 rpm) 17-18 psi steady.

Vaccum at 1000 rpm 19.5 - 20 psi

Vaccum at 2000 rpm 22 psi.

No jumping around more than .5 psi or with engine rpm.

Now what?

Video attached so you can see how it runs once its warmed up. Takes 2 mins to start it cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnfLykg7Yyc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by nunnink23; 05-16-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The IAT sensor per Volvo MEFI IV conversion was added . It has to be connected and wired adapted correctly. MEFI 3 and those STOCK MEFI 3 apps did not have a IAT sensor. Again the conversion of MEFI 4 required per VOLVO installation instructions added the IAT sensor. FYI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.