Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tail_Gunner
http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/ve...58941-2?type=s

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/ve...58941-2?type=s

Confirmed thats the right injector 3858941-2VOLVO PENTA MARINE

http://www.iboats.com/Tbi-Injector-1...view_id.712848

Replaces OEM part #•MERCURY MARINE 852956A1
•VOLVO PENTA 3858941
Fits:MerCruiser MCM GM V6 & V8(305 &350) TBI engines
Fits: Volvo 4.3GXi-A, 4.3GLPWTC, 4.3GLPWTR, 4.3GSPWTC, 4.3GSPWTR, 4.3GIPWTC, 4.3GIPWTR, 4.3GIJWTR, 4.3GSJWTR, 4.3GLPEFS AND 4.3GiPEFS

TG - But is 3858941 the right Volvo application? BUP posted earlier that my OEM injector Volvo # is 3857398, and SB mentioned that the Black/Yellow equivalent is 25170301.

Not doubting that those are the right ones, just confused with all the part numbers being thrown around haha!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

that is the purple / pink marked injector for apps of the 4.3 L Gi . Volvo lists this for the 4.3 Gi
EF and WT models only. they do not list for any V-8's. that was an easy one to remember.

If I can find my list I can post the injectors Volvo used from mid 90's to 2001 or thru 02 TBI apps.

Have to get back to work.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
TG - But is 3858941 the right Volvo application? BUP posted earlier that my OEM injector Volvo # is 3857398, and SB mentioned that the Black/Yellow equivalent is 25170301.

Not doubting that those are the right ones, just confused with all the part numbers being thrown around haha!
I am quite sure you will find this is the right injector but carry on..Bup does volvo use color codes on there injector's....Its priority tech is it not??? The key is being able to run at 30lbs of pressure and a 454 injector....ive tried to find the penta number with no luck.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php

Last edited by Tail_Gunner; 05-18-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I am quite sure you will find this is the right injector but carry on..Bup does volvo use color codes on there injector's....Its priority tech is it not???
GM used color codes (paint marks) on the TB Injectors. Volvo/Merc/etc used GM injectors of course.
THe paint marks wore off pretty easy and over time. I believe they used this for easy reference in 'bins' when the vehicles where assembled.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

I am quite sure you will find this is the right injector but carry on..Bup does volvo use color codes on there injector's....Its priority tech is it not???
I will try them anyway. The ones SB sent will be here tomorrow I think, so I will see if they work. If not I can try your set, and maybe the Walker set. I decided that if the new injectors don't solve it, I think I am going to invest in the Diacom.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Registered

I am quite sure you will find this is the right injector but carry on..Bup does volvo use color codes on there injector's....Its priority tech is it not??? The key is being able to run at 30lbs of pressure and a 454 injector....ive tried to find the penta number with no luck.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php
TG - I will update everyone tonight after I try the new injectors. I will read that link over this afternoon as well. Thanks for the info. It does seem very hard to find the 30 psi injectors.

SB - Are the ones you sent me the equivalent of a black/yellow injector? I know you mentioned one of the applications was for a 454.

I read on a TBI performance website that some truck injectors that run at 13 psi will actually flow less under high psi conditions. I wonder if this is true.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Registered

What a tangled mess ive crossed the numbers to the tj11 to a 90lb injector and the tj17 to a 45lb injector...Merc and volvo used the tj17 on all the blocks using mefi and tbi at 30 lbs psi....The original part number for the volvo... well std motor parts tried to duplicate that but was unsuccessful in the yr 2000. It seems running 30lbs psi with tbi injectors is a black art GM gave up on it in 95 the problem was repeatabilty by the way your fuel pressure regulator is also suspect running those at 30lbs is bit of a job so to speak. I to have been having a small surge issue when going to wot and have come to the conclusion that the tbi is on its way out and new carb is in my future. Intresting back to the future so to speak
Old 05-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Registered

What a tangled mess ive crossed the numbers to the tj11 to a 90lb injector and the tj17 to a 45lb injector...Merc and volvo used the tj17 on all the blocks using mefi and tbi at 30 lbs psi....The original part number for the volvo... well std motor parts tried to duplicate that but was unsuccessful in the yr 2000. It seems running 30lbs psi with tbi injectors is a black art GM gave up on it in 95 the problem was repeatabilty by the way your fuel pressure regulator is also suspect running those at 30lbs is bit of a job so to speak. I to have been having a small surge issue when going to wot and have come to the conclusion that the tbi is on its way out and new carb is in my future. Intresting back to the future so to speak
Ugh. I am very nervous. My new injectors should be at my house shortly. I will be at my boat around 6:30 tonight to put them in... I really hope they work.

So the TJ 17's wont work then as a back up plan? I guess that means I only have the two walker ones to try (maybe)...

Were you mentioning I might have a fuel pressure issue? Im 99% sure I don't, because I haven't taken my gauge off yet, and it has been 33 PSI when running.

I just cant fathom what would go wrong on a TBI. They are so incredibly simple. Do you think converting to a carb will kill resale? I would love to convert to MPI. I already have the MEFI IV computer for it. Just need a manifold, distributor, injectors, and maybe a new wiring harness?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Registered

Well you have to remeber a few things the tb is automotive and the injectors were designed and to be used @ 13psi....Volvo changed that or GM delphi who know's ...to run at 30 lbs which required different spring rate's for the pressure regulator and those rebuild kit's are no longer availible either and the same with the injectors's who really knows the original spec...Now you need to get that spray pattern or fuel delivery issue cleaned up and there's little reference points to work with. Its either injectors that cannot handle 30psi (they stick open) or your fuel pressure regulator (internal you cant measure it) Now if you can find a injector that can handle 30psi and is the right flow rate then your home..The 11's should work by cross reference as the 17's by cross reference but the 17's are clearly smaller than the 11's. So you have to play around with them i guess.... or find a authorized dealer who still has the originals in stock or you might just call obd and see if they know the original injector size or can recomend a new injector and and reflash your mefi 4 back to new again. Let's see how the new injectors work
Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Registered

No luck. Wont start at all now. Before it would start but with a ton of effort.. At least two mins of cranking. I just don't get it.

Are these injecotors smaller?

Also - I think I remember the factory ones sticking out of the pods further. But maybe I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.