Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
The tbi regulator is after the the injectors.

Therefore measuring the psi in the feed line to the tbi unit will be the same fuel psi the injectors are seeing.

Ive never had a issue with a pressure reg but what come's in doenst always come out...did that come out right???/ If you are sure then the 17's appear to be the correct injector. Note only used in 94/95 in BB
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

TG - I can't believe how hard it is to find those 454 high pressure injectors. I think we are all convinced those are the right ones. GM part # 25170301 VP # 3857398. The TJ17's don't directly cross to that #, but I looked at a ton of specs and cant find reliable info about either.

One more question, hopefully BUP will know this one. How do I know what IAT sensor to use? What sensor did VP require dealers to install during a MEFI IV conversion? I bought one at NAPA that fits, but I took it back out because I don't know if its the right one. Should I just use the part number from a 5.7 GXI with a MEFI IV computer?

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully we are getting close.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

The # you gave me 400-1136 is for a MPI #. I think you meant 500-2000. Either way, I can't get Walker products thru any local warehouses.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Registered

SB I meant 5001136 or 5002016. The 5001136 was the marine application.

I could order them through RockAuto, but I want to wait on those until I am 100% sure I have no other options with injectors. Thoughts on the TJ17's or finding 454 high pressure injectors?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nunnink23
Wait a minute.... I need to pull the engine to pull the timing cover don't I? I have a one piece Fel-Pro oil pan gasket, but how could I get the timing cover back on and sealed correctly without dropping the oil pan?
Can you get a degree wheel on the crank and pull a valve cover to check the number one cylinder intake centerline? That will tell you what you need to know on the cam installation.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Registered

TG - I can't believe how hard it is to find those 454 high pressure injectors. I think we are all convinced those are the right ones. GM part # 25170301 VP # 3857398. The TJ17's don't directly cross to that #, but I looked at a ton of specs and cant find reliable info about either.

One more question, hopefully BUP will know this one. How do I know what IAT sensor to use? What sensor did VP require dealers to install during a MEFI IV conversion? I bought one at NAPA that fits, but I took it back out because I don't know if its the right one. Should I just use the part number from a 5.7 GXI with a MEFI IV computer?

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully we are getting close.
Here's your cross reference upper right check cross reference

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/ve...58941-2?type=s

852956A1 merc number
3858941 volvo number

(718) 729-4357 give them a call they will confrim the 50/60 psi

Last edited by Tail_Gunner; 05-20-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Can you get a degree wheel on the crank and pull a valve cover to check the number one cylinder intake centerline? That will tell you what you need to know on the cam installation.
I am not familiar with how to do this. I thought about it more, and I think I will be able to pull the timing cover off, clean up the silicone, and get it back on without removing the oil pan (and engine). Maybe I will have to loosen it a bit in the front if anything. But this sounds like an easier path... I need to take off that banks valve cover anyway for a slight lifter noise. I think it needs adjusting after running a bit.

TG - I looked there before and didn't see the VP 3857398 or GM 25170301. The VP # mentioned is for a 4.3L, but it has one unmentioned 5.7 app as you pointed out. Then the Merc # is for a few types of motors, including 5.7's. SB and I talked about this last night... You would think VP and Merc would use the same injectors... but who knows if that's true.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Lunch break - I have not kept up with this - sorry and just throwing this out for whatever reasons but wanted to ask - are you sure you are not one tooth off with stabbing the distributor when reassembly of this engine.

are sure the distributor and gear is in very good shape as well plus all related parts internally of it are in proper working order ?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Lunch break - I have not kept up with this - sorry and just throwing this out for whatever reasons but wanted to ask - are you sure you are not one tooth off with stabbing the distributor when reassembly of this engine.

are sure the distributor and gear is in very good shape as well plus all related parts internally of it are in proper working order ?
BUP - If the distributor is one tooth off would I be able to set the timing right? I was under the impression you could not? Its dead on 8 degrees BTC.

I am trying to find out what the correct VP # is for my IAT sensor, since I cant just go to my parts diagram. Should I look at 5.7 GXI's with MEFI IV motors?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

I am not familiar with how to do this. I thought about it more, and I think I will be able to pull the timing cover off, clean up the silicone, and get it back on without removing the oil pan (and engine). Maybe I will have to loosen it a bit in the front if anything. But this sounds like an easier path... I need to take off that banks valve cover anyway for a slight lifter noise. I think it needs adjusting after running a bit.

TG - I looked there before and didn't see the VP 3857398 or GM 25170301. The VP # mentioned is for a 4.3L, but it has one unmentioned 5.7 app as you pointed out. Then the Merc # is for a few types of motors, including 5.7's. SB and I talked about this last night... You would think VP and Merc would use the same injectors... but who knows if that's true.
Yes its a VP 4.3 injector but it was also used in automotive side up to a 454 the big issue with this injector it was used with 30psi.I f you think about it its simple and cheap to use one injector for a entire line of engine's from a 4.3 to a 7.4....its just as simple to merely up the pulse width to the approiate engine size or fuel demand until it goes static of course. Now if that sound crazy the factory VP 4.3 uses the 454 throttle body...and single plane manifold figure that one out. I know the injetors in my 4.3 are 454 injectors i had them flow tested year's ago and the tech shook his head when i told him they came out of 4.3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.