Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Yes, The super low compression 454's had a hard time with emissions..........thus the higher fuel psi's for 94/95.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 PM
SB
Registered

Play with the cross reference # on acdelco's site. I put in TJ17 and one of the AC Delco Injector's was 217-2282 that I mentioned a an hr or tewo ago.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tail_Gunner
Actually from a few phone calls what i was able to gather they could not get uniform repeatabilty @ 30psi...remember they had to conform to govt epa stds and that was a 5/50 mile warranty std back them (emission warranty) So guess who picked up the ball...marine nice little pkg on size fit's all..no epa std's and high pressure high performance injector's or so the story goes...
You know what's funny? I was told something similar. The guy I bought my injdctors from said that the fuel pressure regulators were set from the factory on my engine, but not all are set exactly the same. He said they ran the engine on the line, and adjusted the pressure regulator to compensate for flow variations from the injectors.

SB - would it be reasonable to say I can buy an adjustable regulator from you, and tune the fuel flow a bit? Let's say it runs almost prefect, but seems a bit lean, can I crank the pressure up a PSI or two? Probably not I assume. But how about the opposite? Can I run lower pressure of I find out that they are running too rich?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 PM
SB
Registered

With Volvo's Does the regulator in the tbi unit actually govern fuel psi, or is there another regulator in the system (like Merc sometimes uses) that overides it ?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

As far as I know it's only regulated by the tbi. I believe the pump will put 30 psi out no matter what though, since I've heard checking the pressure directly at the pump outlet (capped off) will read 30 psi or so.

I don't think I can increase fuel pressure at all, but I should be able to decrease it, unless it ends up causing the fuel cell to overfill and come out of the vent tube into the intake.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
With Volvo's Does the regulator in the tbi unit actually govern fuel psi, or is there another regulator in the system (like Merc sometimes uses) that overides it ?
They run a rochester 220 style with a fixed 30lb spring in there....yes you can put a adjustable reg in there no problem but with a gauge at the very least how are you going to know what the afr your burning at or is someone going to read plugs for you...

Last edited by Tail_Gunner; 05-21-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tail_Gunner
They run a rochester 220 style with a fixed 30lb spring in there....yes you can put a adjustable reg in there no problem but with a gauge at the very least how are you going to know what the afr your burning at or is someone going to read plugs for you...
I would be crudely reading the plugs and feeling my engine out. I would prefer slightly rich. I am pretty good at tuning a two stroke. I've done quite a few of those.

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point
Old 05-22-2015, 05:43 AM
Registered

So if the number stamped on the injector isn't a part number, what is it? A batch number?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Registered

Alright gents, I have the Diacom tool in my hands. I do not have a tracking # for my injectors, but I hope they will be in today. Any specifics I should be looking for on Diacom? I will post back what I find, and hopefully my injectors come today and put an end to this.

Have a great memorial day weekend BTW. Hopefully everyone else is boating!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:06 AM
SB
Registered

34F here right now. 20+mph winds. Both boats are still in shrink wrap. I do hear a few boats out there. Probably marina guys delivering boats or people going to their island homes. Brrrr. High of 59-60F.

Diacom, Coolant temp, MAP, TPS, and timing are the big ones. BUP would have to give you what readings they should be at idle and etc.

Good luck this week-end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.