Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pliant
Yes this is a condition called tinkeritis, a condition that runs rampart in most of the boating community. The only known cure is blow a lot of dough and rethink were you went wrong and start over again of course......
I already satisfied most of those requirements, so I hope I am cured today after taking the timing cover off. One other reason I think the cam timing must be off. I have a lifter noise. I followed the procedure for setting valve lash... But if the cam timing was off one tooth, its possible that I was adjusting the valve lash with some valves partially open still.

I will take a video of the injectors (TJ11's) with the timing light. I could always put the one good GM injector in next to it, again, and take a video of the difference.

Here are three pics of my engine parameters. If anything looks amiss let me know, but as far as I can see, it looks fine.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

As far as adjusting valves/rocker arms - I do it the long way.

For each cylinder, one at a time:

Exhaust valve just starts to open, adjust that cylinder's intake valve.

Intake valve just about closed, adjust that cylinder's exhaust valve.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
As far as adjusting valves/rocker arms - I do it the long way.

For each cylinder, one at a time:

Exhaust valve just starts to open, adjust that cylinder's intake valve.

Intake valve just about closed, adjust that cylinder's exhaust valve.
I was just thinking - do you have the ability to flow test at 30 psi? If I sent my originals back to you, then you can probably determine if they are good or not. And then stop the wild goose chase for injectors.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

Been watching this thread,hope you get this solved.Best Wishes friend.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MichiMike
Been watching this thread,hope you get this solved.Best Wishes friend.
Thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered

Serious question for anyone who knows. Is there a carburetor application that I can put on this, which will allow me to still use the computer for timing advance? If so, can you give me some basic info to research? I am starting to think if I don't solve it by the weekend I'm better off getting it running on a carb for the summer, and worrying about this over the winter.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

No computer needed. THE EFI dist's module has a great advance curve built in for carb'd applications.

Assuming you have the external coil GM HEI ? Referred to as the EST.

Last edited by SB; 05-24-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
No computer needed. THE EFI dist's module has a great advance curve built in for carb'd applications.

Assuming you have the external coil GM HEI ? Referred to as the EST.

Yup I believe that is it. Would I lose some horsepower going that route? It was rated for 280 from the factory.

A decent carb is around $300 right? So what else would I need to do? My gauges would still work I think if I left the computer in place.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered

Carb is more than 300 but a new carb always feels like a new set of tires lmao.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nunnink23
Serious question for anyone who knows. Is there a carburetor application that I can put on this, which will allow me to still use the computer for timing advance? If so, can you give me some basic info to research? I am starting to think if I don't solve it by the weekend I'm better off getting it running on a carb for the summer, and worrying about this over the winter.
Have you confirmed your timing chain installation & timing? If you're off, switching to a carb is NOT going to fix your issue...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.