Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Actually posted a video of the injextors spraying with a timing light aimed at them. Here's the thing, I still don't believe it's rich. It it was, why doesn't it start when cold? I'm telling you, this thing takes 2-3 mins of on/off cranking to start cold. If I pour some fuel on the butterfly it starts RIGHT up. Once it's runing I tend to agree with you, since it does die if you spray carb cleaner in it.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered

I will stick to my guns here and let BUP do this if he is willing...But there is a cold start protocal there's a lot more to this than just replacing parts they all interact. Where's the vid???
Old 05-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

Lol I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just my opinion. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/-ii_GCZsHMg
Old 05-25-2015, 01:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I am trying to see IMO the parts and systems were this fault might lie. It is very hard to follow along because I have not and a lot times I have no idea what sensors and parts are installed during any timeframe. I am so use to process of elimination to rule either this section and or systems if it is good or bad and then moving on to the next following system to check that and so on.

I will post this as reference - all OEM marine ECM are speed density systems - the MAP sensor is very important for this system. The rpm / speed signal comes from IC = ignition control module inside the distributor to the ECM on the IC reference high circuit. The ECM uses this info to determine the rpm / speed for the FUEL and the IGNITION outputs or if you want to call management. The 2 biggest inputs to the ECM and these are the major inputs are the MAP and RPM that are the major inputs for the ECM to deliver the appropriate air fuel mixture in the system. The other sensors are sort of speak a fine tuner for the ECM inputs and outputs to better manage the air / fuel mixtures.

When intake manifold pressure increases, vacuum decreases. As the air density inside the intake manifold increases more FUEL is needed. The MAP sensor sends this pressure info / input to the ECM. The ECM in return outputs to increase the fuel injector(s) pulse width. Yours is .9 MSEC or MS in which is the same even stays the same at 1800 rpms. NO WAY you are running rich. so the other side of the coin with the MAP reading is when manifold pressure decreases, vacuum increases so the amount of fuel is decreased. This is all controlled by inputs to the ECM and the ECM outputs the signals to correctly or manage the spark and fuel end of the system.

Last edited by BUP; 05-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I am trying to see IMO the parts and systems were this fault might lie. It is very hard to follow along because I have not and a lot times I have no idea what sensors and parts are installed during any timeframe. I am so use to process of elimination to rule either this section and or systems if it is good or bad and then moving on to the next following system to check that and so on.

I will post this as reference - all OEM marine ECM are speed density systems - the MAP sensor is very important for this system. The rpm / speed signal comes from IC = ignition control module inside the distributor to the ECM on the IC reference high circuit. The ECM uses this info to determine the rpm / speed for the FUEL and the IGNITION outputs or if you want to call management. The 2 biggest inputs to the ECM and these are the major inputs are the MAP and RPM that are the major inputs for the ECM to deliver the appropriate air fuel mixture in the system. The other sensors are sort of speak a fine tuner for the ECM inputs and outputs to better manage the air / fuel mixtures.

When intake manifold pressure increases, vacuum decreases. As the air density inside the intake manifold increases more FUEL is needed. The MAP sensor sends this pressure info / input to the ECM. The ECM in return outputs to increase the fuel injector(s) pulse width. Yours is .9 MSEC or MS in which is the same even stays the same at 1800 rpms. NO WAY you are running rich. so the other side of the coin with the MAP reading is when manifold pressure decreases, vacuum increases so the amount of fuel is decreased. This is all controlled by inputs to the ECM and the ECM outputs the signals to correctly or manage the spark and fuel end of the system.
Very well said and to that point the actual point is when the system starts delivering the correct info to the ecu and drives the injector pulses up or down to the right amount the engine will be flood badly due to the oversized injector's. What seems to be going on when cold the system is not working yet when it reaches operating temp the injectors start firing correctly and flooding it our badly as they should. I for one would like to see a vid of the vacum gauge reading from 700...1200....1700 up to 3000 rpm and watch to see if the vacum is correct. And one thing that still bother's me is the MAT sensor...I dont believe the orignal system was even designed for that MAT in a TBI with no OS sensor's???? LOL and speed density to top it...makes no sense.

Last edited by Tail_Gunner; 05-25-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Its hard to put all that into words. I tried to maybe understand how it suppose to operate. Who knows it may help to pinpoint something exactly.

I am not sure if this engine will run up to 3000 or even 2500 rpms so will it ?

I do know this MEFI 1 - 2 and 3 does not require a IAT sensor for this app but he had to do the conversion to MEFI IV and that does require an IAT sensor.

Also are both of your injectors spraying fuel and keep in mind they should not be spraying at the sametime. This TBI app / management system only sprays one injector during the first hi reference signal and then the next injector on the second hi reference signal. Yes it happens quick. because we are talking about in relations to milliseconds here. Just saying
Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

I can take a video but first I need to put my old injectors back in again.

But if we look at the diacom all the readings appear normal. The ignition module should be working correctly since it's giving accurate rpm outputs... But who knows
Old 05-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

Nunn have you put back in that IAC OR MAF sensor, i know you had it out once and have you checked it out for resistance.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM
BUP
Banned

NO MAF on this that would be Mass air flow sensor. Marine do not use this. U must mean MAP.

Did you use the correct ECT sensor this is the one and OEM part number needed. Again trying to see if you have mix match parts. Also this ECT does double duty. Volvo Penta # 3850397 I know you change but who knows with what and the correct on ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-...55572d&vxp=mtr

Last edited by BUP; 05-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tail_Gunner
Nunn have you put back in that IAC OR MAF sensor, i know you had it out once and have you checked it out for resistance.
I never touched the IAC. I just tested it per the volvo manual and left it alone I did put the original IAT back in though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.