Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,227 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Misuse of Abbrevetions/ PArt Names is killing me here. HArd to follow diagnostically.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
NO MAF on this that would be Mass air flow sensor. Marine do not use this. U must mean MAP.

Did you use the correct ECT sensor this is the one and OEM part number needed. Again trying to see if you have mix match parts. Also this ECT does double duty. Volvo Penta # 3850397 I know you change but who knows with what and the correct on ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-...55572d&vxp=mtr
I didn't use a volvo one, I used an Echlin Napa brand one. But I put the volvo one back in (original one). Both have the same readings for what it's worth
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

ok I knew that you changed it just checking that the correct parts were installed.

I did some digging on my notes jeepers way back for TBI - I was 1000 % correct about the black and yellow markings for the fuel injectors for your app. And those part number as you said 25170301 is correct. These are Rochester stamping part numbers and GM if I remember correctly parts # were GM 5176. that one I would have to double check on. Just saying.

I even found pics years ago that I took working on marine TBI units of the injectors. Yes they were yellow and black marked for the 5.0 and the 5.7 Volvo's mid 1997 thru 2001
Old 05-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

BUP - I don't think there is anything wrong with my factory Injectors. If there was, the new ones I ordered (despite one being bad) would have solved the problem. It didn't. It just replicated the old problem, even if I put one of my original Injectors back in with it.

I think that the injector pulse width is wrong as you mentioned, but since the TJ 11's are rated at mid 90 lbs/hr as TG mentioned, (vesus around 45 for the factory), they are flowing double the fuel. Of course those ratings are at 13 psi, but my point is, the only reason I can even get this ***** to start or run is becsuse the TJ 11's flow double what the factory ones are supposed to... Since my pulse width is smaller than it should be, it still ends up being able to start after extensive cranking.

The question remains - why is my ecm telling the injectors to flow so little fuel? I personally think it's been corrupted and needs a reflash. I know it's not a hardware problem; I bet it software. Corrupted somehow... If it's receiving all the right inputs but shooting out the wrong output, to me that sounds like a candidate for a reflash.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
ok I knew that you changed it just checking that the correct parts were installed.

I did some digging on my notes jeepers way back for TBI - I was 1000 % correct about the black and yellow markings for the fuel injectors for your app. And those part number as you said 25170301 is correct. These are Rochester stamping part numbers and GM if I remember correctly parts # were GM 5176. that one I would have to double check on. Just saying.

I even found pics years ago that I took working on marine TBI units of the injectors. Yes they were yellow and black marked for the 5.0 and the 5.7 Volvo's mid 1997 thru 2001
Agreed on the original number to be superseded by etc etc etc today they just discontinued the parts its getting pretty bad fro tbi.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 PM
BUP
Banned

I am really going back to my posts of post # 325 and a follow up with post # 329 for your problems.

I think at this point rule out vac leak and possible rule out MAP sensor. Did you ever see 039 stamped on your MAP sensor

it will be stamped 039 then a big space follow up by 4 numbers - those last 4 numbers mean the year and day the MAP sensor was manufactured.

The 039 if stamped on the map sensor means it is a 1 bar map sensor that should use the green color like connector.

So this leaves the injectors and or any circuit problem to the injectors or the ECM and or its connections or any ecm related grounds as being the problem IMO

Next just thinking out load - if I recall the MEFI 3 to MEFI IV conversion with the new adaptor harness that is used for the conversion - I think it has a ground cable within that needs to connected and it should be connected to a good ground like the back side of the engine ground. Do you have this ground cable and is it connected ? I could be wrong about it but for some reason It comes to mind.

Last edited by BUP; 05-25-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP

You 100% they wheren't yellow/brown ?
I'm asking because I can still get new AC Delco yellow/browns. They where a special 5.7 injector for GM. Referred to as police package. They flowed about 5lbs more at 13 psi than the normal vehicle 5.7's. 68lbs at 13 psi to be exact.

Last edited by SB; 05-25-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I am really going back to my posts of post # 325 and a follow up with post # 329 for your problems.

I think at this point rule out vac leak and possible rule out MAP sensor. Did you ever see 039 stamped on your MAP sensor

it will be stamped 039 then a big space follow up by 4 numbers - those last 4 numbers mean the year and day the MAP sensor was manufactured.

The 039 if stamped on the map sensor means it is a 1 bar map sensor that should use the green color like connector.

So this leaves the injectors and or any circuit problem to the injectors or the ECM and or its connections or any ecm related grounds as being the problem IMO

Next just thinking out load - if I recall the MEFI 3 to MEFI IV conversion with the new adaptor harness that is used for the conversion - I think it has a ground cable within that needs to connected and it should be connected to a good ground like the back side of the engine ground. Do you have this ground cable and is it connected ? I could be wrong about it but for some reason It comes to mind.
I am sorry I forgot to Check the part number. I met a GM master tech at the Marina, who told me to do a drag test on all the relevant terminals.

Yes you are correct, there is a ground cable in the conversion harness. It has good continuity and is connected to the same ground eveything else is connected to, which is a known good ground.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:13 PM
SB
Registered

Is thius computer and harness new for this year ? I forget.

Pssst: I would get another working '301 injector from that same source. They owe you one. And then continue if you need to.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 AM
BUP
Banned

OK so I remember correctly about that the ground cable for the MEFI IV conversion - I thought so just was not 1000 % .

Next SB I went out today and look for the OEM factory class Volvo Penta TBI & MPI training manual. I wanted this manual from 2002 because that was Volvo last in depth training on TBI because everything for them was going MPI moving forward. It was a 2 day class. . With that said in the 2002 Factory Volvo TBI & MPI manual page number 69 ( heck I could not of even planned that page number) here is the list.

Check color codes for the proper apps and part numbers

5.7 GSi LK - black / yellow injector color code - operating pressure 29 psi, TBI part # 3856395, Fuel injector part # 3857398, fuel pressure regulator part # 3857397, metering kit part # 3857396

LK = 1997

all of this exact same info is posted for the next 3 model years for - BY = 1998, WT = 1999, EF = 2000. This is how Volvo assigns model year with letters. I did not feel like typing all that out to. Its the same everything listed ^^^^^^^

5.7 GSi BY
5.7 GSi WT
5.7 GSi EF

The OP has 5.7 GSi EF model

and the same for the 5. 0 L with the exact info.

Matter of fact for the 18 TBI fuel injectors listed not one is listed as brown. including the 4.3 L, 5.0 L and the 5.7 L

I know which ones you were talking about as it was only listed for a police cruiser - TBI brown / yellow

Last edited by BUP; 05-26-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.