Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so strange. And that is definitely pin 32 right? I'm not reading it wrong?

That's the pin on my conversion harness which is MEFI IV. Not the MEFI III input harness to the conversion harness. So what the heck does it do if the mefi IV isnt supposed to have a pin 32. I need to see if that 12v in from the fuel pump y harness goes anywhere else.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Alright, spent 1/2 hr skimming thru the manual and wholly schit I'm impressed.

Good detail of all systems. Even EST distributor when used with MEFI 4, all the sensors and controls, and even the injector #'s, colors, and the two different fuel pressures used in different Volvo Penta TBI systems.

Edit in: No - pic doesn't who well.

Check out page 138 on the VP MEFI IV manual link :
http://www.scribd.com/doc/263121416/...CE-BOOK#scribd
Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Registered

I saw that too. I was going to post it later on but I didn't want to throw too much confusion into the current dilemma of wtf J1 pin 32 does lol.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again, this boat / engine was configured as it is now last year, and did run properly correct?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshore312
Once again, this boat / engine was configured as it is now last year, and did run properly correct?
Yes it did
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

amazing what a real OEM MARINE training service manual can do for you and you guys doubted me on the black and yellow TBI injectors. .

The MEFI IV harness adaptions has to take the wires & connections that are connected for the MEFI 3 and rechanged / reconfigure them to properly adapt to the MEFI IV ECM. The pin outs are not the same going from Mefi 3 to mefi 4.. That's why you have the y harnesses and the fuel pump y harnesses for the conversion. Without the adaption harnesses and properly connected your engine will not run properly nor start properly.

I have said and asked a bunch of times your problem lies with the ecm and or connections - is that all connected correctly and or forms of its connections and or connections to its circuit. Even asked if the single negative wire was installed and installed correctly.

It seems the conversion harness adaption was never properly installed back after the engine rebuild. . just saying and hopefully this fixes your problem once and for all. Somehow or someway I can post the proper VOLVO install

Last edited by BUP; 05-28-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
amazing what a real OEM MARINE training service manual can do for you and you guys doubted me on the black and yellow TBI injectors. .
No. You where believed. And appreciated with that info.

And don't let this get to your head - we believe most everything you say. Hah !

Now, if someone actually follows it, well, that's another story.

Last edited by SB; 05-28-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP

The MEFI IV harness adaptions has to take the wires & connections that are connected for the MEFI 3 and rechanged / reconfigure them to properly adapt to the MEFI IV ECM. The pin outs are not the same going from Mefi 3 to mefi 4.. That's why you have the y harnesses and the fuel pump y harnesses for the conversion. Without the adaption harnesses and properly connected your engine will not run properly nor start properly.

I have said and asked a bunch of times your problem lies with the ecm and or connections - is that all connected correctly and or forms of its connections and or connections to its circuit. Even asked if the single negative wire was installed and installed correctly.

It seems the conversion harness adaption was never properly installed back after the engine rebuild. . just saying and hopefully this fixes your problem once and for all. Somehow or someway I can post the proper VOLVO install
I hope so too! I didn't doubt you on the black/yellows at all though.

Here is my only gripe with this. The MEFI IV pinout shows no pin on J1-32. I know for a fact the Y-harness is mapped to the MEFI IV pin 32. I have a pin in the J1-32 spot on the connector going INTO the MEFI IV. I just find that very odd since its not supposed to have one.

Again, I am praying between that, and isolating the conversion harness ground strap, that it solves this issue. But to be honest I still have my doubts. Maybe I am just burnt out now.

Edit: Not doubts in what you are mentioning though. I just feel like this engine is cursed.

Edit 2: How long do I need to wait for RTV Ultra Black to cure? The tube says nothing about cure time. My father put the timing cover on for me this morning, so I was hoping to put the rest together tonight and try to fire her up.

Last edited by nunnink23; 05-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
No. You where believed. And appreciated with that info.

And don't let thig get to your head - we believe most everything you say. Hah !

Now, if someone actually follows it, well, that's another story.
I am with you SB on the above. I haven't even needed BUP's help and try and read his replies just for future reference! Both of you have really hung in there on this one hats off to you guys.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

No its not getting to my head believe me - I try NOT to post stuff that I am not 100 % about. . I hate that I cannot type nor put into words simply the correct way to adapt these harnesses. Of course doing it blind does not help either.

You know its to the point now that everyone is way to stubborn not to try to fix this darn thing. That's what I am really saying.

The harness adaption for the conversion is very important again to reconfigure the connections to the correct pin outs of the MEFI IV ecm. . I have done these installs before but 3 or 4 years ago and back. Like with Merc and Indmar and Volvo the installs are not the exact same for any of these. They all differ here and there, plus some parts are in the mix and some are not. that is what has mixed me up.

You could still have problems even after properly connected - hopefully your ECM is 100 %. Just saying its that 1 % factor you have to worry about wit this stuff. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.